Noob question: how to center model after adding BVH?

Hi

I was using MakeHuman to design some characters then I used the MHX2 extension to import a model in Blender and used the MakeWalk plugin, action editor and NLA editor to add several BVH animations to the model from several BVH files …

The only thing that’s left is to center the model IN ALL ANIMATION FRAMES so that it doesn’t translate or rotate ,since the BVH files itself contain the info to change the position and rotation of the model

I know it’s a simple question but I am more of a hobbyist programmer and I’m not much into the 3D Designing thing and also I am not used to Blender but I thought of using it since I use MakeHuman so I thought they may fit LOL

Thank you & any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello??? Anyone here? :confused:

If its animating the actual model additionally, just remove all the keyframes from the model or disable the animation channels in the Dopesheet. Same goes for the Armature object, in case that has any keyframes that are not related to the bones.

Sorry, it didn’t help much :no:
Why would I remove the animation or the key frames? I just want to center the model IN ALL FRAMES but keeping the animations on it without translating the model to new positions … like is there any global center button?

Sorry, probably misunderstood the question then. I don’t think theres a center button for all frames at the same time. Center button for the the current frame is Alt+G, but I don’t think thats gonna help much either :smiley:
Anyways, I hope someone else can help you with this then.

My understanding of BVH motion capture data is that coordinates are recorded in global space. There’s no root bone and there’s no real concept of a center. To center the captured animation data, you’d basically need to create a root control, make all BVH controls children of that root, and then counter-animate the root to align the animation back with the center of the scene. Much of this process could probably be proceduralized and scripted, but the counter-animating part would likely need to be done by hand.

That said, I’ve only worked a little with BVH data (I tend to prefer animating everything myself), so perhaps there’s something in there that I’m not aware of.

There was a free utility called BVHacker, that I think had a recenter function for BVH files. Will check.

Edit: http://www.bvhacker.com/ but he stopped development in 2015. There is a Blendernation article about BVH tools here