For Students: If you need to digitize a 3D object - use ReCap 360 online free

I know that there are many options and tools but often they don’t work that great (are DIY), are PC online or cost a lot of money. I tested many of them over the years.

Just today again I did a test with https://recap360.autodesk.com/.
You can use it for free as a student. Upload your photos with your detail in focus and hit process.
It most times takes around 30 to 60 min for a run.

But the results for a photo based approach are just mind blowing. 65 photos and check out those details!

What is limitation on size of images for input?

The bigger the image the more pixels could be used for rebuilding the 3d object

i made the photos with an iPhone 7 not even a DSLR

A few questions if you don’t mind:

How many polygons is that?
How hard is it to clean up the model?
What about the textures – do they come over as well?

Here I made a project with a student in sculpture and we digitized her head.
Feel free to download the OBJ file and tinker with it.
https://recap360.autodesk.com/project/02a64a7857c040b1aa2f6635d290a3db

You can online see the 3D model, download the OBJ file + textures, and see all the images I took to digitize it.

When doing the photo shooting you want even lighting - over cast sky or such.
This way your textures will look good.

This model is 90 MB some of my OBJ files are around 50 to 120 MB based on how much the engine took image
references in focus and generated a mesh model for it.

This head model has around 1.4 million faces, 2 Million edges, 700.000 points.

Rotating and spinning it in Blender is fast editing the mesh tho is not.
I am quite shocked to see how bad Blender is at manipulating such a mesh.
it makes it borderline useless because operations work in stop motion speed.

You can use the decimate tool to simplify the mesh.
The nice thing is that the UV texturing will work well this this !!!

Very dense mesh

different decimation stages

UV textures still work well - obviosuly if you decimate to strong it will show

I mainly use the models for reference - 3D blue print.

Hi Mods - I was not sure if this is the right forum to post this - but I felt most would read it here…

This is an online service - not a software to install so it runs on everything:
https://recap360.autodesk.com/

I am not an AD sales person - but I found this online service that effective that I wanted
to share this with the community as I am madly impressed with how good that photographic
process works today vs laser scanning and object which is out of the price range of most people.

In my current interior design project I gave ReCap 360 a test drive to see how
good one could digitize interior and exterior spaces with ReCap 360.

The project problem I have is that for the properties there are no useable blue prints
and hand measurements started to identify flaws in the blueprints.

So I did multiple tests for the exterior and interior shooting from far and closer
walking around the house and such.

This worked out pretty impressive.

Like with small objects digitizing the same rules applied to large objects like a house or room:

1. No glossy surfaces

2. Don’t shoot against the sun or reflective surfaces (glossy brick walls)

3. Best time is to shoot before the sun is up or with overcast

4. You can mix a pass of photos with a wide angle lens from a closer distance with a pass of photos with a tele lens from a further away position to capture details better

5. Walking clockwise and then counter clockwise around a house works well capturing areas the previous photos were not able to see

6. You can also mix in passes of additional closeup images - ReCap can find where they fit into the sequence and model - AMAZING

7. Try to frame as much as possible the subject on the photo - the more it occupies the image the more pixels it has the more data ReCap has to turn that into a good mesh.

8. A house does not have to be always fully in frame you can go slice by slice - but overlap images well.

9. The more everything is in focus the better the mesh quality

NOTE: the more photos you add the longer the processing time but sometimes the more rewarding the result.
The interior test I did for the attic resulted into a 4 million faces model around 330 MB.
The more geometry there is and the more pixels they occupy in the image the more geometry details you will get.

Runs on Linux?

I’ve used Recap before and it’s pretty powerful what it can do. It handles tons of detail fluidly. It also cleans up errors pretty well.

ReCap as an app runs only on Windows - but I use only ReCap360 which is the web interface.
After all ReCap and ReMake just upload the photos for processing.

The programmers behind that code are amazing - I have to say that.

ReCap360…

And that means?

Hopefully we can find an OpenSource alternative:

Pleas, don’t feed the Autodesk monster… there are better alternatives out there that are not Autodesk based and they are pretty cheap, I think there is something Open Source, but of you can pay a bit you can access Reality Capture and Agisoft Photoscan, both solutions are far better than ReCap 360 and are not Autodesk…

Is it possible to digitize a room with this?

Cekuhnen, are you getting a kickback from AD for all these promos?

Given the rants over at the ReMake board, I’d say not. Recognizing the good along with the bad regardless of the publisher is just being platform agnostic.

It’s just the second post he’s made about exactly the same thing in a weeks time, only adjusting the target demographic. Probably a coincidence, but it’s textbook marketing.

First post was a person - second post is architecture - different object different scale.

And yes at the Fusion Forum they know me, I lectured at Autodesk university, for Fusion 360 they even have a Claas tag
when I report stuff. And that is about it. I do not get any money from it. There is only mutual respect for each other.

But one can be a hater of AD or take what is offered and see the good in it.
That’s really all.

Also it seems to me that you do propaganda for AutoDesk! It’s probably a wrong impression, but it is what it seems, always ready to decant the qualities of AutoDesk software from Fusion360 onwards. . You’re very involved in Autodesk World.
Anyway propaganda for a company like Autodesk, is unfair, with the power of money to get everything.

Moderation: Merged threads.

Based on what you write you come across as a hobby user in 3D.
there no alternatives to fusion and recap that work so good deliver the quality and also are cross

you also fail fail to realize that fusion and recap Autodesk allows you to use for free.

what else do you want? I am a professional that also uses blender.
i so t care where apps are from as long as they give us the tools to use.