Cycles-rendering with spot-lights

Hello,

I‘m currently working on a spacestation. At the moment I am rigging the lighting-setup (separate layer) and I got a surprise when I looked at a test render after a few spot-lights were set:

The result was like the samples-value had been scaled (is set to 250), the render is far more grainy than the test render without the spot-lights.

None of the spotlights do directly point to the rendered area.
The scene itself is lit by a sun-light.

Anyone know a familiar problem?

Greetings

Not sure if this applies to spotlights in particular, but I always disable MIS for my tiny and non significant light sources (and materials, and dark surfaces in general). I’m not sure, but I think sampling is more happy when only dominating sources have MIS applied, and then it will still divide/guide the samples between those. When I have interiors with 30-50 spotlights in addition to other lighting (generally we don’t do sun&sky for what we do), I have to aid the system and fake stuff, even with tons of samples.

Also you can probably kill most bounces as there aren’t many surfaces to reflect light from in space.

try branched path tracing.

Sry for the late reply,

thanks Daedalus_MDW, your had the right suggestion, my renders are back to normal.
It’s the first time in many years with Blender I use that functionality and I still don’t know when to use it…^^

Greetings