CUDA out of memory while rendering an animation, but nothing in the scene is changing

Hi all,

I’m trying to render an animation in cycles on the GPU but at a certain point, I get a CUDA out of memory error, but nothing is changing in the scene so it seems weird to me, but is this something that is to be expected?

thanks

For a reasonable answer we need to know a little more about your scene and hardware. Best practice would be tp append a .blend file to your question.

I agree with OriginalSin. In addition to information about the hardware and the scene, you indicate which version of Blender you are using.
Also, you should monitor the vRAM usage with an external program such as GPU-z.

Well it was happening at work on the experimental branch (“Well, it is experimental…” yep yep I know…), but then it’s doing a similar thing here on my home PC, using a stable 2.78 build. In fact here it flat crashed my PC when I tried to render. That’s on a 2 x 1070 GTX.

I think it may well have something to do with adaptive subdivision, as I’m getting the ‘tesselating…’ message whilst it’s building the scene etc. I can’t see anything in the scene that’s got adaptive subdivision on, but I’ve switched off ‘experimental’ and it’s just rendered one of the problematic frames out fine, and with a peak memory usage of 500 ish Mb

How many frames are in your animation? Do you render frames to image files or a video file? How many vertices does your scene have? How many textures at what resolution do you use? Which experimental features do you use? What is the “certain point” were CUDA runs out of memory (frame and step in processing)?

That are the first questions that come to my mind that might or might not have to do with your problem.