first rendered character

hey this is my first completed character would appreciate pointers on what to improve thanks! :slight_smile:

I like the concept and the overall look. The ears could have a little more detail and I would love the see the eyes to look more alien. The skin is very dull but i like it from an artisic point of view but you could maybe try a variation with over the top SSS, a little transparancy, some vains under the skin and some gloss on top of it. https://www.vermiculture.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_image__full_/public/field/image/worm.png?itok=sv9cFkY4 Something like this maybe.

thanks! yeah i agree the skin is quite dull, I’m fairly new with texturing i tried adding more warmth on area’s closer to the surface like the brows and cheeks but my skills weren’t up to it and ended up awful. I shall be spending a lot more time learning texturing for a while, I loved the idea of the subsurf scattering with transparency and viens, would really make it pop :smiley:

If I were you I would look up maneul bastioni labs and download the addon. there is a nice skinshader in that addon that comes built in. you could plug your textures into their node setup and adjust things like skin oil, subsurface scattering, and other stuff real time. the transparency and veins could easily be drawn in over their premade subdermal skin textures and put in immediately. Hope this helps!

this addon looks amazing! thanks for the heads up, totally free and open source too! :slight_smile: its like make human on roids. the addon as a whole seems to take alot out of the creative process though, I would like to learn the traditional ways of doing it first so I am able to create the whole character from start to finish on my own to really know whats going on with every aspect, but once i understand that ill definitely give this a go to streamline the whole process, thanks again :slight_smile: