Killer mesh - what should I do?

Through messing with booleans I managed to unwittingly create a mesh that breaks Blender, Cura and 3DS Max.

When it is copied over to Blender it plays nice for some time. Trying to do “Set origin to geometry” blows up Blender’s math. The mesh disappears, positions become nan and the scale goes a good distance through the floor. It also royally screws up the 3D printing toolbox. (I am ashamed to admit the thing was supposed to be printable. Knowing how it rips the fabric of space apart, I think I am glad it doesn’t have physical form.) Should I report this as a bug? I can provide the file but I don’t know what exactly is wrong with it or how it came to be.

bug.blend (610 KB)

Works totally fine for me in 2.77a on OSX.

WRONG. Second time setting the origin had the same effect for me

Edit2: Go into edit mode, select all vertices manually (not just pressing A) with border select, separate the selection § the new object works as unsual for me.

Must be something like a vertex hidden in indinity or something, don’t know :smiley:

Fixed it for you - killed all the faces left unconnected, deleted and rebuilt the base a little.
The issue with the random disappearing went away once I quartered it and mirror mod’d it back to full.
Also added a subsurf for you, to smooth things out… apparently its now a habit for me.

A couple of things to consider when working on a 3d print:
Always connect all your faces.
Always delete doubles.
And finally - make sure the model is manifold and doesn’t have the spazzing your model had inside its guts.
Oh and also try to keep it under 50-60mb for each piece.

Sometimes I’ve found that simply rebuilding a model a little can fix little derps like this one. Frustrating indeed, but not all that hard to solve with a bit of brute force.

Attachments

bug.blend (5.31 MB)