How to improve this scene?

I was watching a movie and got inspired by this shot:

So I decided to create one scene myself, but different. I just made a hall with some doors and some lamps.

This is my first attempt at creating a very basic scene. I added some scratches to the mirror but it is not very much visible. I also used Filmic color management. Sampled at 1000.

Is this image fine for a newbie? How can I improve on this image? Currently it seems like the mirror is hovering in a void. :smiley:

EDIT: I did like the users suggested, and here are the results. Since it took me 5 hours to render this image at 1500 samples at 960 X 540 resolution, I decided to tweak them a little and present as a single image to know which one looks best, and how more I could improve on the final image.

Hey, maybe try a different wallpapper like the Picture above. And maybe have a person standing there with light coming from behind him/her.

What’s missing really is something around the mirror. Try a wallpapper with some displacement and gloss maps!
And some smudges on the mirror perhaps?

But all in all, good job for a newbie! Keep it up bro!

yeah. The image definitely needs some more focus. It is photorealistic, however, a scene like this seems to incite some kind of dark mood I guess. You may not want to go for that, but if I were you, I would boost the lights to a lot more energy and lower the exposure until everything is a lot darker. since you’re using filmic, you can experiment with this realtime while you’re rendering. I would also set this image to the high contrast level if you haven’t already. The eye needs to be drawn to something and maybe having a light on at the end of a hall with a dark figure or something would really catch the eye. Check out manuel bastioni labs and adobe fuse (both free) for a beginner level way to get assets and customizable people in your render

I will put a wallpaper if I can find a good one on google. The idea of a person is good, but that will tend to make this scene dark, dark like scary/creepy, but I am not going for that effect.

I already added some scratches and smudges, you can see them on the mirror on the right side, but I will add some more.

Thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

I am not going for a person effect, I am more interested in showing a hallway in the mirror. :slight_smile: I will try the exposure and brightening the scene more. But I cannot experiment much for the fact that my computer is really slow and I have to tweak a lot of setting then give is a render. :frowning: But I will try with the experiment, Even at 1000 samples it is not enough. I will have to go higher :slight_smile: