Rig not correct after importing .FBX motion capture data from Carnegie Mellon

I am trying to make my character walk naturally and am looking for ways to apply motion capture to my rig.

I have stumbled across Carnegie Mellon’s motion capture library and download a run.fbx animation (http://www.thetrailerspark.com/download/func-startdown/2366/)

I had to use Autodesk FBX converter (as everyone suggests) to update to 2013 fbx so Blender would import it.

However when I import the FBX into my scene I find that the newly created rig has one of it’s spine bone’s disconnected and rotated weirdly (all other bones seem ok…), I do not know how to fix this because once I rotate the bone the whole rig is messed up.

Secondly when I set the rig to the relaxed pose all of the bones shoot off to crazy locations.

Does this sound like I’m doing something wrong in the way I import things? Or should I be more convinced that its an incompatibility of some kind between the FBX data and Blender?
I

whenever you move this bone … is it the Rigg messing up or just the mesh?

if it’s just the mesh… then you should be able… after you have moved the bone into it’s proper place… (in edit mode… not pose mode)
you then need to disconnect any of the vertices connected to that bone and reconnect them again … as anytime you move a bone in edit mode while it is connected to a mesh … it will effect the mesh… so if your rotate that bone around then the mesh will move with it… because it still thinks the bones 'starting position is still were it was before you moved it…

one easy way to do this is to save your file…

delete the Rigg completely…
delete the Armature constraint in the Mesh Object… but do not touch any of the Vertex Groups…

Save your file (but name if a by a different name… “MyFileName_MeshOnly_001” or something like that…

New Exit that file…
Open your old file …
Delete the Mesh out of it… do your bone corrections on your Rigg in Edit mode…
and save it as “MyFileName_RigOnly_001”

Now open your “Mesh Only” file …
Append the Armature that you corrected from your “Rigg_Only” file…
and now go add an Armature Modifier in your Mesh connecting it to the Armature you just did an Append with…

everything should fall together and work as intended…

but that’s only if the problem is with the Mesh messing up and not some other Armature specific problem