Need Help With Adding Text to Objects

I need help with adding text on objects in Blender. I’ve tried adding text onto the barrel by adding text object. That didn’t work because I couldn’t place the text directly onto the object. How can I add a text onto there and make it apart of the object. Do I have to use Photoshop or some other painting software? Could someone explain a simple way to do this?

Hi,

It depends on what you mean by adding text.
This could mean sculpting the text onto the surface of the object or using a separate text object.
However since you have posted your doubts in materials and textures then I guess you want to create a texture

The first thing you need to do is unwrap your object so you have a flat UV representation of the surface
You can then either draw the text in Blender by adding and editting the texture {if you have a steadier hand than me on the mouse}
Or you can export/edit/reload the texture in an external paint program

Then to apply the texture in cycles you just need a simple node network to map the texture you have created onto the surface of the object.

This example might help:

Hope this helps

Martin

UV unwrap is the way you want to go if games are your deal (considering your nick). You could also try (still on texturing) generated coords -> mapping node (min max activated) -> image texture using tube projection. What you can do with the mapping node seems very limiting though.

I haven’t done this myself, but for curved 3D text onto objects, I’d look into warping/curving/shrink wrapping the text mesh.