Dynamically aligning objects to face viewer

I’m new to blender so please excuse if this seems like a naive question.

I am creating a series of 3D maps. The labels stand up on the z plane for readabilty. Currently as I spin the design in a viewer the 3D text spins with the rest of the design. This means that when viewing from behind or the side etc. the text is unreadable (see Sketchfab -> Mapman -> Italia for my working example).

Ideally I would like the text to automatically swivel on the z-axis, such that it always facing the viewer.

So the question is can this be done within Blender, and if so how?

As I see it, a solution would involve allowing objects to swivel, or alternatively use the timeline somehow to create different views (invoked in a positional context rather than a timeline context).

Thanks! Steve

should be possible to add on objects a constraint track to so it faces the camera all the time

happy bl

Thanks for the suggestion Ricky.

I did have a further play with the constraint track and was able to get an object to face the camera. However this really didn’t help with what I want to achieve. The camera view is good for creating animations etc., but what I am doing is just displaying the 3D model in blender (user perspective), or a rendering engine like Sketchfab. In both of those there isn’t a camera as such when navigating around the model, so the tracking isn’t invoked.

Just to clarify, what I would like to do is have the text always pointing to me in the following model:

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers, Steve

Do you want it to work in Sketchfab?

Yes Martin. I’m totally new to Blender and 3D graphics, so I’m not even sure what I’m attempting is possible!

I don’t know Sketchfab so well… but isn’t that an unsolved case from Sketchfab? ( i.e. https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/object-always-facing-camera/8162)

in Blender you only need to constrain the object’s rotation to the camera (with ‘track to’ constrain)… but this doesn’t work in SketchFab.

With Blender do what others said about constraint. Untick Lock camera to view, make camera view bigger than 3dview, then tick it ON and when navigating you dont even realize you are looking through the camera.

http://puu.sh/vslKl/ed8ef645f5.gif