BlenderBike

This is a project I have been doing for a while. The aim was to really get in to those tiny details and not do something quick and dirty.
Now it’s finished (I think anyway)!
Some sand texture from CGTextures, grass made by “Grass free” and a HDR picture as background. The rest of the modeling and materials are made from scratch. Rendered in Cycles… about 1000 samples in total.

First of all, the model is very good, awesome job on that! The texturing is not very good with the blender logo on the side, it looks very stretched. I can’t tell if textures are used anywhere else and I can’t really judge the materials because of the biggest problem in this scene, the lighting. I’m interested in your lighting setup because there doesn’t seem to be any kind of directions or shadow. An easy method of lighting that works very well is 3-point lighting, I’d highly recommend that you look into it because the lighting is really holding back this scene. I hope this helped!

Thanks for the response on my render.

My thought from the beginning was to make a roadsign, but since the sign itself would get so low to be visible, I turned it to a lamp post that lid up the ground instead, thus made the surrounding a little darker.
This was not the best choice, I admit. I have got others also telling me that the image is too dark… so I’ll redo and light it properly :).

About the Blender logo… it should not be stretched, but I can see that it looks that way. Could be that I forgot to press CTRL when scaling in GIMP. Will go back and redo.

Thanks again!

So, I have now done some smaller changes to the pictures according to feedback. More light on the bike, rescaled the BlenderLogo, changed focus slightly, added a track in the sand from the back wheel and darkened the background a bit… giving the picture a feeling of a thunder/rain or storm is waiting behind the sun (my feeling of it anyway). Hope the small changes will give the picture a better overall look.