subivision surface - sharp edges

Hey guys
When I’m modelling objects, I like to use the subdivision surface modifier, to improve my object with rounded edges. It always looks more realistic this way. But this always also creates a problem. I cannot sharpen all edges how I want because this would create some weird artefacts. I especially like to work with the bevel-modifier with a profile on 1 in combination with the subsurf-modifier. I have the feeling, that other programs (like 3ds-max) are doing a better job on that. In many tutorials, he creates (in 3ds-max) his low-poly object, and after that, he just added the chamfer and turbosmooth modifier. In blender this creates those weird artefacts. I’ve added a test scene with a problem i got some time ago. (the objects are named 1/2/3/4) The artefacts appear on the connection between the cylinder and the pillar. At object 1 there are artefacts at the corners. I can get rid of them, by adding bevelweight to extra edges (object 2). This does not work on object 3, because the cylinder is curved. On object 4 I tried a different method, without bevel at the bottom, but this isn’t working neither.
Anyone an Idea how to fix this? 3ds-max is using smoothinggroups. Is Blender just not that good at this stuff?
Thanks for helping me!

Attachments

Test.blend (574 KB)

You might try Edge Crease instead of Edge Sharp.

What kind of result are you trying to achieve? Are the very sharp edges something you want? Or just the bi-product of the attempt to create what you really want?

Are you looking for something like the shape in the foreground of the images?
https://i.imgbox.com/vnuhipz7.png https://i.imgbox.com/wzV2DSPY.png

Is it possible the person you mentioned was using the topology to assist turbosmoothing and chamfer? Sub surf and bevel don’t get along with poles. Like the ones you would get at the corners of the intersection. I understand they’re often referred to as E poles. As in “Extrusion”.

U’re talking about the guy from chamferzone, right? Chamfer in blender works lil bit different i’m not exacly sure how though. Still it was just a trick to work faster and with more complicated meshes u had to “repair” it anyway.
U can do all the job just using swift loops, inset or slice tool but obviously it’s time consuming.

I had the feeling that turbosmooth is more like autosmooth in blender ( vertex panels ) , than sub-d. ( i can be wrong … )

If you want this type of modeling, i suggest you to look on HardOps, Icetools, speedflow addons or workflow,

Turbosmooth and Sub-surf may not be exactly the same, but as far as I know they both use catmull-clark sub-division. So they are analogous.

The artifacts in Ultiecko’s meshes are related to how the subsurf and bevel modifiers deal with topology. Sub-division and bevel do not deal well with poles. Those are areas of the mesh where 3 or more edges connect. Even on a mesh where you don’t get big changes in depth, like on a character’s face. You want to avoid poles as much as you can or at least work them into areas of the mesh that don’t deform much. Or work them into areas that would pinch or fold naturally.

You probably won’t even notice them on a hard surface mesh until connected edges change angle away from each other. Like extruding a square section out of a surface. Insetting before you extrude only helps isolate the area. Creating a “perimeter” of sorts. But it won’t deal with the E-poles it creates at the corners of the extrusion.

Hardops might actually be a good idea for high poly work, but it’s aimed squarely at hard surface creations. And it’s particular to Blender. I can see the appeal of it. It allows you to fairly quickly construct something without having to be concerned with topology. From what I’ve seen and read, it’s worth the price.

But learning how to construct a mesh to suit sub-division is transferrable to pretty much any 3d application. It can be tricky to get your head around. I still have problems with it from time to time. But lots of practice and taking note of how good modelers tackle it, will pay off. :slight_smile: