Planar Motion Tracking and motion blur together

Hello everybody.

Firstly I want to apologise in case this is not the correct forum to post this subject. I hope it is the right one.

I am messing with planar motion tracking. I aparently have succesfully managed to do such a thing. But I have got a little issue that proves my final footage to be fake. The original footage has motion blur due to a lowish camera shutter speed. Is there a way I can use the tracking points to add blur to the “planar tracking deformed” image to imitate the blur in the original footage?

Thank you.

There’s should be a Motion Blur check box on your Plane Track Deform node in the compositor. Just turn that on.

A while ago I did some tutorials for CGCookie about this very thing. If you’re a member there, check them out.

Also, since I’ve done those tutorials, they’ve added a Speed output to the Track Position node. So you can simply track your fiitage with a single track point, put a Vector Blur node on your footage, plug in the speed from the Track Position node (leave the Z at 0), and turn your blur up over 1. I advise turning your samples down to 8 or 12, though, unless higher is necessary. The default of 32 takes a while to process.

Thank you Hype for your answer. It was so obvious I feel ashamed of myself :o. Can you believe I didn’t see the checkbox? It was right there, in front of me, just as you mentioned, waiting to be checked!!!

Thank you very very much.