Cannon

This image is still not finished. I need to add DOF and add an texture to the wheel axle. But I can say this is 90% finished. It is a brand new small toy made of gold and wood resting on a long wood plank.

I used:
-Filmic Blender
-PBR Shader
-HDRI
-Wood Plank 028

Reference Image(not trying to duplicate, but a lot similar):

I had a different reference image but I couldn’t find that on google again. So I had to use the different reference image.

The chain looks weird, but from other angles, it looks fine. Don’t know why it looks tool tight from this angle. :frowning:

Need reviewing to improve this image further.

I have two questions:

a)
If your aim is to present that toy, why is it standing in the shade? Without the direct sunlight, the blue tint of the used HDRI comes through very heavily.

b)
What is the size of that toy? I’d assume that each of those planks has a width of about 12 cm. If so, the barrel of that toy is at least 50 cm long?

The toy is not supposed to stand in shade. I have to level the plane on which the toy is standing. I will make all the changes only after I get some more critique.

1. The barrel is 38cm long. I am lost. Should the planks be bigger or smaller?

I’m missing context for the size of that object.

When I read “small toy” cannon, I thought of something for a kid to play with, something that might fit into the palm of my hand. If so, the planks would have been much too small…

But with the dimensions you mentioned I’d think this is not so much a “toy” in my understanding of the word, but rather a miniature salute cannon for yachts and the like, yes? For such an object the planks might have the right size - it’s just that I never would have considered your image was showing a live cannon with a barrel length of almost 40 cm.

See my problem? The context you give is “toy”, which sparks my understanding of the object’s dimensions. If it isn’t a toy and is to be used on a yacht, perhaps show it to me in its proper context, with some other (commonly known) objects, that provide a visual yardstick/reference for the object’s size.

It’s a toy, but not something kids play with. I mean, you get the point. A miniature cannon, not too big, not to small. I guess the image is final then? With some tweaking.

I still think the scene is a bit bland: Miniature cannon on infinite ship’s deck…
This is what I mean with context for this object: There’s a guardrail with respective mountings, ropes, a hammer to fire the thing…

Yeah the scene is bland. I was first going for a studio setup, but decided to just add a wood plank. I have something in mind, but I just hope my computer doesn’t slow down. :smiley:

I am giving you a quick render of I am trying here. Tell me if I should proceed with this setup or not.

Did some more progress. I am probably thinking of adding two benches in the open spaces.

Changed some textures. Added a bump map to the gold base and barrel. Should I give this image a final render or it needs some changes? Resolution: 1920x1080 Samples: 50.

Ad some scratches to that bad boy :smiley: