How to rotate single object along center - independent of origin

Hi,

so I have completely trivial use case. I have a creature that has two wings. I’ve made one wing, and now I need to rotate it into the place on the creature. the wing has origin point centered on the Y axis, so that Mirror modifier along X axis will work correctly.

When I am trying to rotate the wing in place, it seems impossible, because the center of rotation is always the origin, but I need to rotate it along its median point or bounding box center of geometry. Only mode other than origin that seems to have any effect in object mode seems to be cursor, but all other pivot center modes seem to be only functional in edit mode, ignoring the object mode. I just need a quick way to rotate objects in object mode along their median point or bounding box, without constantly having to re-center origin to the geometry and then put it back where it’s supposed to be. That would be ridiculous workflow.

Thanks

I’ve made one wing, and now I need to rotate it into the place on the creature. the wing has origin point centered on the Y axis, so that Mirror modifier along X axis will work correctly.
You don’t need to use the object origin as the mirror centre. Add an empty and set that to be the mirror object in the mirror modifier settings.

As for specifics, we don’t know anything about your model or how you want something rotated as you have not supplied any file to review

Adding empty as a mirror center is just a workaround, not a solution. As for the scene, is it really necessary for so extremely trivial example?

I mean here:
1, Add box
2, Go to edit mode, select all the box vertices
3, Move them off to the side so that box has origin outside of its geometry
4, Exit back to object mode
5, Hit R, and rotate
6, Notice that rotation center is objects origin, not actual average center of the geometry
7, Try to switch different pivot mode
8, Notice only Cursor pivot mode is respected in object mode.

I would expect at the very least bounding box mode to work, because it would make absolutely no sense to take object’s origin into account when calculating mesh bounding box.

Actually, here’s a video: https://youtu.be/FLrv-vpWwhg