Path of ages

My first finished project in Blender. Rendered in Cycles, some texturing made in Substance Painter and Zbrush

Very nice. I like the abstract/surreal quality of the image. It takes a good imagination to dream up something like this.

There is, however, an inconsistency in the front-face lighting on the left-hand vs. the right-hand pyramids. Also, in general, I find the shadows – appearing very dark and “pointing” to the right – to be distracting from the overall effect of the image. Likewise the fact that the “Eiffel Tower” is strongly-lit on one side yet strongly in-shadow on the other. If you intend a “day vs. night” contrast, as the sky to the left and the right of the “Tower” somewhat suggests, then I would recommend that everything else in the shot should lead to and should somehow support that visual conclusion. The lighting of the “distant” mountains, for instance, should never be stronger than that of the “closer” subject, as this (with a general absence of other visual cues to the contrary) almost has the damning effect of destroying the 3D illusion in those areas. Watch everything with an eagle eye – including the fact that objects rotating around the things at the top of the pyramid are precisely in line with the peaks of those mountains. And so on. Train your eye to see the image as what it always really is … flat.

I like the concept of this shot, and I don’t mean to rain on it. But, I think that changes to its lighting and composition could make it killer Gallery material.

sundialsvc4, thank you for a constructive and detailed critique! I will take all yours remarks into account in my future works

Awesome image. I don’t see anything wrong with light or shadows. It’s like those fantasy pictures from the 80s

The only thing I feel is a bit off is the excessive green. The green yellow blue clashes a bit. I did a small photoshop thingy to explain what I mean.

Hm, yeah, agree. In this color scheme it looks better

Very nice! Reminds me power metal/NWOBHM covers artwork from late 80’s :slight_smile: