Fluid Simulation help

I am trying to create a whirlpool using a spinning propeller and a basic fluid simulation.
Methods I have tried are using a spiral path for the inflow object to spin on, a shell with a prop at the bottom, and even a combination of the two.

It takes a little over an hour to bake each time, and I still haven’t managed a sim that will work.
Problems I am having are

• The fluid sometimes, for whatever reason has so little polys that it just becomes a weird jittering blob.
  • The fluid ignores the obstacle objects I am using, mostly just the shell container and isn’t whirling.
  • Crashing due to low memory.

Here is the current set up I am baking: whirlpool.blend (564 KB)

It should work OK if you make sure 1. All the objects are in the fluid domain, 2. all the objects have a scale of 1 (apply scale by selecting object and pressing Ctrl-A and select scale, 3. leave the end time at the default setting (4), the time here is in seconds not frames, 4. set your cone obstacle to Shell. Hope this helps.

Everything is in the fluid domain. Everything is now of scale 1. The end time is still 4 seconds however, will changing this value cause problems if say I wanted a 30 second or longer length simulation?
The obstacle is now a shell, I also duplicated the outer faces and designated them as outflow objects.
When simulated the water does not vortex rather it just explodes out of the container and then settles over the spinning blades.

I will try changing the timing of the spin to start once the bowl is filled.