Modern Kitchen

Hi, I have been working on this scene for a while and I am pretty happy with it. I am not sure what contrast I should use with filmic. I also would like help on how to do the background in the window. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

render, 2h 15m, 1200 samples, 1263 by 812 pixles

base contrast

medium low contrast

medium high contrast

Looks stunning. I think that the medium high contrast look woth filmic looks better than the others. Only problem in my opinion is that the floor has too little bump try increasing the distance on the bump node and lower the strength and perhaps add some whipping residue. And one more thing : go to the photo editor of you choice and make the outside completely white or white to blueish because that pro lighting skies black ruins the realism. But i have a question. How do you get reasonable noise with the amount of samples you are using and getting reasonable render times?

Looks great! It might also be cool to see it with the indoor lighting on and as the main source of light in the scene.

For the outside window, you might want to check out some interiors on blendswap and see what they do to get the look right, here’s one - http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/41683

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I think I will use the medium high contrast. I am not sure why I am getting so much noise under the countertop and in the seams of the ceiling. If anyone does know could you please help. I will work on some residue on the floor and add in a background. Thanks

Soon denoiser will be in blender master builds. With that you could render with half the sampling and it will have no noise.

Just added this background in photoshop and was wondering if it looks good. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Im not sure why it looks bad in the view port, but just double click on it to see the real thing.

Try 2500 samples. It might take longer but it would look cleaner. Also if you are still getting noise try using a noise reduction filter in Photoshop or Gimp! If you want a residue overlay texture check out www.Poliigon.com they have amazing overlay textures and check out their wood material tutorial :smiley:

Thanks for the advice. I just did a bit of noise reducing in photoshop and I just added smudges. I have not rerendered it so you won’t be able to see the smudges. The only problem is the noise under the countertop is very hard to remove, so I was wondering if all I need to do is turn up the samples. Thanks for the advice, and if there is anything else please let me know.

I personally think that your render looks way better. When you render the smudges and remove then noise just move the camera a bit lower, show a little less of the ceiling and show a little bit more of the floor. I think that you render will look perfect!

Thanks for the input, I just lowered the camera a bit and I am going to render it shortly.

The whole scene looks very great, is that possible to share some close up? :o

I don’t think I will have time for that, but I will see what I can do.

There are some strange artefacts on the ceiling (corners of recessed surface). Looks like some external light is leaking through the ceiling corners. Try to close the space outside the kitchen’s ceiling. Other than that very nice rendering.

You can try those settings I render my Ustuba Park Kameda House with it. I think ceiling corners is not a light leak but Cycles getting lost. Clamping should help with those fireflies. If those settings do not work I would add lamp under countertop with very little emission strength so this corner will get enough light. Anyway, your render looks very good, I like colours contrast and composition. Colours they play very nice with each other like orange and teal rule. Congratulations.

yeah the ceiling is completely shut, but I usually don’t like to turn the filter glossy, clamp direct, and clamp indirect so high because it takes away from realism. I will turn them up a bit higher, but I think just more samples will do it.