Sculpt doodling

I’ve spent few hours this WE training my sculpting.
I think it’s important to get out of regular project and find some short training exerecises.

This one is pretty satisfying so far so I think I will push it further.
(I’m currently super happy as I’m not confortable with realistic stuff and especialy portraiting and I’ve outputed this one in a prety short time :slight_smile: )

UPDATE :

Attachments

very nice! Arnold alike! But with workflow are you doing? are you using a basemesh?

I’ve started with a sphere then dyntopo sculpting, a suick retopology and here is a level 2 multiresolution.
I will then go for detail sculpting in Z brush I think.

Are you going to add a texture to it?It would look better.

Don’t know yet. This was just supposed to be a speed sculpt but I feel like I will push it a litlle further :wink:

Okay i will wait.

Is Zbrush that much smooth for the details than blender? I have never tried zbrush, but I find blender just fine for details.

Performances are not comparable. With a descent computer you push Zbrush beyond 10 million polies without any laging.
this allow you to SCULPT micro details like skin pores etccc

You can go up to 9 millons in blender with a multiresolution modifire, with nice performance, you can’t use big brush because if you move to many vertex, then it lags, but if yo don’t scale up the brush to much it works just fine. But again, I never use zbrush, so I can’t compare.

I’ve sculpted some fine details and made the polypaint (all hand painted)

Realy nice painting! There is something weird on the neck, the esternocleid muscles has only two main heads, it seams you fuse the escalenos to the esternocleid. That is no possible.

HEEEEE…You seem to know a lot about anatomy…Could you Kindly explain me what you’re talking about with some drawing on the pictures?
That would be of great help

Hey! Of course, I can… my English is not good, but I’ll try my best.

As you can see in the images, the sternocleidomastoid has two heads, one is clavicular, and one is sternal, normally the sternal is more prominent a visible, but you can see both. then you have the omohyoid muscle number 4 that many times is visible, and then you have the 6 and 5 that are scalenes, that sometimes you can see just a bit, just some subtle volume, then you have other that normally are not visible, and then you have the 7 the trapezius. 1 and 7 are really superficial and prominent, 4, 5, and 6 you have to be really paying attention to see them. but they go under 1 the are not part of the same muscle, and have to be a lot less prominent. you have made like a 3 head sternocleidomastoid.

Also not related to this, but the placement of the orbit of the eye, and the zygomatic arch are not well placed. the top of the arch is in the exact same line as the bottom of the orbit of the eye, is one of the things that never change in all the skulls of all the humans, every other thing is variable, but not that. The line goes from the external occipital protuberance to the cygomatic arch, to the bottom of the orbit of the eye, you can place the ear hole, then the cygomatic arch, and then you know where the occipital protuberences is and where the orbit of the eye should go. So if you have C, you place B and then you find A. In your case, C is too high or A is too low.
I hope you understand my english

hEY @TONATIUH , thanks for all these inputs :slight_smile:

I’ve made some fixes on the neck and I will definitively have a look to the ear and eyes position if I can fix it.

I really like that portrait. Tonatiuh, you really seem to know your anathomy. That is a great explanation. As for performance comparison ZBrush vs Blender, there really IS a difference. I can go to 8mln on ZBrush, on my old laptop easily. On blender it always require some preparations, and is pretty random. I often have problems even with few mln even on my desktop.
Great sculpt, great explanation, great thread.