Camera movement blocked while using tools

Hi. Recently (3 months ago) i started my learning courve with Blender and i switched the interface layout to maya’s since im more comfortable with it. The problem with this, apparently is that when using some tools (most of em) if i try to move the camera around while using the tool at the same time will not work, i guess it is because some conflict with the default blender keys. I use ALT + lmb to move the camera.

Is there any way to go around this? because until now, it wasnt a problem but it is starting to be really problematic. Thanks in advance.

Which tools? You don’t have to list them all, just give an example so a person can test, rather than guess. Do the camera controls work when using the default key setup?

For example, the knife tool, yesterday i needed to just stop my work because i wasnt able to turn the camera at the same time i was using the knife tool. Really frustrating. Yes i could just activate wireframe mode and at least i could see and select further edges. But thats not what i want. Thats an example, other tools, like inserting edge loops, for example, will not allow me to move the camera while im placing em. And several more tools. Basically i think, tools that are “automatic” will let me to move the camera, for example, the extrude tool will let me, since i dont need to do anything at all, just move the mouse up and down to see the extruded surface. But with other tools, it is a problem.

Right now, im stuck on my learning curve since i reached a point that i need to solve this… my learning courve has increased and now im going to start modelling bigger and more complex things. So i need to get this shorted out.

Hi,

better use the default keymap I think. That being said, most modal tools don’t allow you to move the camera - knife is the only exception I can think of off the top of my head.

Hadrien

Erm… MOST tools allow you to move the camera… not the opposite. Ive been watching tutorials and all of em move the camera at the same time they do loops, extrudes, and whatsoever. I just dont want to go back to blender input settings, ive been working with maya for 5 years and i really like it far far more than blender’s.

Also, i want to use the maya setup, because in unity, unreal or basically any single 3d app out there uses the same interface as well.

And, a lot of people is using maya input interface on Blender, so, im pretty sure there must be a solution somewhere… :s

Same problem here. Wish hotkeys weren’t such a mess. Blender should not allow assigning 2 things to the same hotkey.

If at least i could find the input mapping for the camera movement, WHILE in editing an object… but there is none. I was loving Blender so far, but im afraid that if i cant figure this out, im gonna need to go back to maya (and i hate autodesk, but i will have no other choice since i already have a maya license) and i really really dont want to, sigh.