Baking normal map from high-poly problems

I’m trying to create some rocks and I want to bake the details from the high-poly object to the low-poly and then export to Unity. After hours of problems, I managed to do it, here’s the normal map that works:

This normal map works great in Unity. But the thing is, going back to the steps I’ve taken, I can’t figure it out how I did it exactly. I remember that I smoothed the edges in edit mode and I also added a Normal Edit modifier, but some details elude me. I tried with a different rock and here’s the result so far:

It’s clearly VERY different, and I can’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Has anyone faced such a problem before? Any ideas? Thank you!

OK, here’s the deal, when you create a new image in which you want to render a normal map, make sure that the 32bit float options is not checked. I’m an idiot, but I’ll probably make a tutorial in the future on how to bake and export to Unity so that others avoid my mistakes…

You can also set the color space to linear (if you want to keep working with 8bits textures). :wink: