Questions about size of models

Got it, alot of people just create art and the size doesn’t really matter for that. And you can lock the view on an object. Thanks for the help. Mods can delete if you want.

If you want to model to a particular size then do so. you can set the units to metric or imperial in the scene properties.

Size is important when running physics simulations. If you keep with the units set to None then the physics assume 1 unit = 1m

I mainly do interior visualizations. Everything is always in real world scale. I notice it often helps a lot, because you do not need to guess small details. You can measure or find measurements of everything. This is a huge help when modelling. I would most definitely recommend modelling in real world units.

I do a fair amount of modding. Scale is actually very important for the end product.

I can start in different ways though. The initial model doesn’t actually need to be scaled accurately. I can model at any scale I wish. But more often than not, I’ll use a default character as a reference. Standing roughly 1.82 meters in height. The reason I can vary the approach, is simply because I’m so familiar with the process. If you have an established, reliable point of reference, it’s not really too much of a concern how you start.

So it’s not unusual to see tutorials where scale isn’t really brought up. If it’s a piece for display only. Either static or part of a reel, then scale isn’t really a concern, except where you have something in the scene, relative to the object. The only way you could recognise scale between a giant and an average sized human, or a person standing next to a truck, or building , is the relative difference between them. Viewing one or the other alone wouldn’t give you those visual cues. So scaling doesn’t have to be foremost in your mind.

In addition some render engines as Luxrender who use physical information ( light etc) need a correct scale … you dont want render a glass of wine who are 10m high and have 50cm of glass thickness. ( an error we offtly see in Luxrender forum ). let alone light source power for the scene will be incredibly high and completely kill any realism on the render in a case like that.