Realtime Cubemaps

Is there any way of achieving cubemaps in real time? I’ve see static cubemaps with 360 images, I also thought of how to turn (or create) the scene into a HDR image and so using it as a cubemap, but will continue to be static if objetcs are moved, so I wanted to learn how to make it properly and the current (and best) way to achieve it.

Thanks in advance.

theres a thing called dynamic textures. likely you need to know python, and you will definitely need a powerful computer. i heard upbge made a planar reflections feature.

just know, realtime solutions will never look as good as rendered/raytraced (read:cycles). we have gotten close, but the hardware requirements are very high.

Realtime cubemaps is implemented in UPBGE, see my demo vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRtbOQ6ouU&index=2&list=PLAhAwUHmGjclxfpcB8CqRb1_B-p7eG76L

I saw the video right now and tried myself, and I already ask if there’s any way of changing the color of the cubemap. At first guess it appears to be like a chroma ball that reflects, so I tried do use a matcap texture with it in a separated material and mixed in the node editor to change the visual of the ball. here’s the file:

realtime_cubemap.blend (565 KB)

Is this the correct way doing this?

I know realtime reflections arent the solution, it’s just toughts that i have in mind for real long time.

Hello Hdhunk, you can use a static cube map made by a environment map rendering from BI, if it’s your ask.

There’s some tutorial you could share please, I would appreciate it.

Thanks