BGMC 24 Results!!!

Blender Game Making Contest 24 is over and the games are all ready for playing.
You can download the all games pack here.

I recommend checking each game’s thread for updates or bugfixes as well as information about system requirements and controls. If the game in the all games pack doesn’t work, you should check the original thread too. In some cases the competitors included an improved version of the game, you might want to check out both, if your computer can handle the strain. :slight_smile:

Have fun and enjoy the games. I did.
Thanks to everyone for taking part and good luck in the vote.

VOTING:
The poll is multiple choice.

[QUOTE]Select your THREE favorite games BEFORE clicking submit.

Try to take in to account all aspects of the games, from gameplay to graphics and sound, as well as ease of play and difficulty in getting it to work. Also think about how much people have improved from their previous games, or if this is their very first published game, because that’s an important consideration too.

The poll will finish in 7 days. Votes will be hidden until then! :smiley:
We will find out the winner together on the 2nd of May.[/QUOTE]

And the results are in!
1st Place goes to Inferno-SDFGEOFF.

2nd place goes to Parallax -acloudyskye

And joint 3rd place is Evacuate- Apilch and The Escapism- Nicholas_A

Great job everyone! Thanks for taking part.
I look forward to BGMC 25, to be hosted by SDFGEOFF.

I am very excited and working on a patch for my game right now!

Inferno is really fun

Results are looking interesting so far. I can tell you that two games are tied for first place right now.

Don’t forget to post some feedback about the games when you play them. If you didn’t like something about a game don’t be afraid to say so. Feedback and criticism is essential for developing our skills.

There was one other game submitted but they posted in the facebook group, not here. I’d have liked to add it to the pack but I wasn’t able to download it. :frowning:

Lots of strong entries, and it’s nice to see that most include music. I’m surprised that I’m the only one to have their game be smaller than 10mb. I have no idea how you guys manage to make so much content in a week.

Bounty Hunt- Escape! By Szlobi
In the blend file, the viewport wasn’t in the camera view. This is an easy thing to forget.
Ran quite slowly on my laptop. Got stuck after “Now I am at the rooftop, and have to find my way back down” whereby I spawned falling down the side of the building…

Parallax -acloudyskye
Nice art, nice music, nice game. Boss battle is a little weak. Love the way the enemies fall after you hit them

Manic Mack’s Escape- BluePrintRandom
Your best game yet, but the movement speed is a little slow. I completed it without ever punching everyone, just with dodging. No health loss either.

Evacuate- Apilch
The screenshots looks pretty, but I can’t play windows executables, nor can I be bothered firing up my blend-file-extractor. I thought one of the requirements for the BGMC was about sharing the blend file. If you upload the blend I can give some feedback. (Maybe I just missed where the blend is?)

Escape- Boggle

It’s not clear what blend file to start. I tried main menu. Crashes my UPBGE, but works in normal BGE (just dump it in GLSL mode).
Maybe because of this, I couldn’t tell how many coins I had to collect, and it’s a big area. Nice game though.

Chained- Geometricity
This game defeated me. I couldn’t figure out how to interact with anything - anything. What key/button is used for interaction? I waited several minutes and nothing happened so I put it down. Nice environment, but I think the player’s perspective is a bit high. I wanted my player to duck when he went through doorways. Ran slowly on my laptop.

Inferno-SDFGEOFF
Needs more variation between runs and lots of other things…

In the dog House- Fredstash
This is a cute game. I liked it. As I mentioned in the project thread, I couldn’t get the water to do anything in the last level, but other than that itwas great.

The Escapism- Nicholas_A
Very polished. I like the way that so many things can be interacted with. Nice graphics and the controls ‘feels good.’ The riddles weren’t too hard, and I felt like the last level was a bit too big (I knew what I was looking for, but took ages to find it), but otherwise very good.

Get Out!- JO5HU4.Blend
A suprisingly big game, with lots of vent crawling. I found it a bit dark and had to increase my screen’t gamma to be able to see in the vents. Not too hard, and I didn’t manage to end it properly as I got stuck floating above the planet.

Cold Day- Grenzer
Neato. I like it, except I struggled to go through the room with the two red doors, and it took me ages to realize that to start, I had to go to sleep (I eventually inspected the blend - the bed was the one thing I did not try to interact with). Otherwise it was very good.

Results are looking interesting so far. I can tell you that two games are tied for first place right now.

Hey, you peeked… (Joking).

Several games included music tracks in wav or other formats making them 40megs or more larger than they needed. I think I’ll dk a tutorial after on music and sound editing…

SdfGeoff - thanks! I was adding features up to the last minute and did not get any time to polish, however win or loose, this game is getting polished and going up on steam, just re-wrote much of it tonight (I did not like the raychecks for attack and am spawning sensor objects now) also I am working in a combo system, using the exit transitions to pop the action, or start the combo if the right key is held.

Now, Who has won?

whomst’d’ve*

Results tomorrow!

And the results!

1st Place goes to Inferno-SDFGEOFF.
Great job Geoff!!! Excellent work as always.

2nd place goes to Parallax -acloudyskye
A really brave design choice that I think paid off.

And joint 3rd place is Evacuate- Apilch and The Escapism- Nicholas_A
The escapism looked great and I think with more time spent on more puzzles it would have been even better game.Evacuate was a really superb game, I think it could have been a winner with some more varied enemies and locations.Special mention to Manic Mack’s Escape- BluePrintRandom and In the dog House- Fredstash, joint 4th place.I think both marked an improvement for the two developers.
For Fred, a few changes would really bring out the great game that he made, like giving the dog the ability to walk backwards and making sure the edge of the map was a fence you can’t see over, not just an invisible wall.
Manic Mack’s escape was a great foundation, but I don’t think BPR really had time to flesh out the level design so the final result wasn’t as fun as it could have been.

Fro the two games which didn’t get any votes, Escape- Boggle and Chained- Geometricity I think they both fell in to the trap of being a tech demo with not enough interaction.
Chained looked great, but the solution to the puzzle left me feeling kind of confused.
Like last time, Boggle’s game was one which looks like a promising start but wasn’t really developed beyond an initial sketch.

but I don’t think BPR really had time to flesh out the level design so the final result wasn’t as fun as it could have been.

True, I made the level in the last hour

I should have included more bombs, cars, and Mayhem.

the good news is, we already have been retooling this for the big time,
On to gameJolt, and steam :smiley:

• check it out and follow our progress at -
    Manic Mack

congrats winners!

Congratz Sdfgeoff! Inferno was definitely my favorite game :slight_smile: Super addicting!

I’m happy with 3rd-ish. It’s an improvement. I am working on more environments and ways to interact with stuff for Evacuate (or a game that uses the same mechanics), but I’m not quite ready to start piecing it together. I have to learn more ways to organize everything first.

Congratulations to everyone who entered. There were a lot of fun games!

I am very surprised at this. I thought that style of game would have most people play it once and go “Huh, that was strange.”

I’m just going to do a shout out to acloudyskye. I really like the art style you apply to your games (eg Terminus North, Parallax). I think it’s unique and really really awesome. It’s very different to most modern games, and I think this most recent one was a very solid game. I’d love to see game with 20-30 minutes of gameplay based on this BGMC’s entry.

Also, as I said in my review, a big round of applause to BPR. I really think that with some effort, your entry here could also make a very good game. As smoking_mirror said, the only issue was that the level felt incomplete. As you continue to develop this game, my advice is to not add too many more features, just add more content.

To those who it may interest, here’s an approximate breakdown of where the work/effort went:

• 2 hours planning (on an aircraft flight)
  • 2 hours prototyping (First to see if I could do bendy corridors with armatures (this failed so badly I almost gave up on this game idea), then a quick graphics/visuals test)- 5 hours - All flight mechanics, shield, boosting etc, Basic map generation, 2d filter construction
  • 5 hours - HUD, level mesh tweaking, increasing speed over time
  • 5 hours - Menu, difficulty, scoring and achievements

As with my previous winning BGMC entries, a significant amount of time was devoted to planning (~10%), and most of the gameplay was done by the end of the solid block of time working on it (~25%). Also similarly to many many BGMC entries, I didn’t get done half of what I originally planned. I wanted doors, forking tunnels, powerups and so on. But some new stuff came in as well - mostly things that I figured I could do in under 10 minutes and never touch again (eg the music, the startup sequence and death pixel-fades).
My piece of advice has not changed from before: write down a plan of some sort, it will help prevent you wasting time doing things that won’t make the final game

This game didn’t pose any particular technical challenge beyond making sure that the player didn’t go backwards to far and that the level was generated in front of them as they went regardless of speed. In the end both were solved by adding a plane at the intersection between segments and either adding a new tile in front or deducting the shield depending on which way they went.

I think I preferred this sort of BGMC. I think I’ll host the next one in a similar way: keeping it small and simple - that said, if you have ideas, drop me a message.

Woah, that’s a pleasant surprise to start the day. Congrats to everyone who participated in this BGMC! There were some fun entries this time around. (Also thanks for the s/o Geoff inferno was great c: )