Mesh with shape keys and armature messed up

The mesh I’m working on has acquired a few issues, and I’m not sure where they came from while I was working. I know that when I remove all the shape keys the issues go away, but of course, I need to keep those. In object mode there are a few renegade vertices, causing distortion, that aren’t related to vertex groups or weight painting. These do go away when the shape keys are removed. Also, in edit mode, the entire mesh has exploded. Again, this can be fixed by removing all the shape keys.

Does anyone know what’s causing these problems and how to fix them?

Thanks much! -Aaron

The .blend file: https://ufile.io/ltvbp

Why post a file with 56 megabytes of unrelated stuff in it?

I got zoomed in and realized all the problem verts are in the body.

First apply the scale.
Then in edit mode on the basis shapekey, select the head and use P to separate it into a different object.
Then delete all shapekeys from the body.
Then you can use Ctrl-J to join the body back to the head. Select the body first, then shift select the head and do Ctrl-J.

At least that cleaned it up for me.

Thanks for the help!
Oh idk I didn’t think to cut down the file size. Was it hard to download?
Do you know what could have caused this to happen?

Not hard to download, just time consuming. Since I don’t have an account at that site, the download speed is throttled. Then to see that most of the file size is totally unrelated content is a bit… let’s just say, it’s not optimal.

About why it happens… I’m not sure, but it does happen. It’s always seems to be related to joining or editing model geometry after the shapekeys are created. The proper workflow is to finalize the geometry then create shapekeys. Either way, keep backups of models you want to keep!

Yeah I thought about the file size briefly but the site says it downloads at 500kb/s – with 50 mb that’s about 2mins… Figured that wouldn’t be too long for a download. Plus, then you have time to browse blenderartists.org while you wait! I’ll keep it in mind for next time so I don’t use up too much of anyone’s data :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I would like to do that but the face is actually imported from MakeHuman – you know of that program? Their exports are already really nicely rigged, with face shapekeys, etc., and are easy to import into blender.

Thanks for the help tho, I’ll keep that workflow in mind for the future.