The last guardian (weeklyCGC)

Hey everyone,

it’s my first post here with a first finished image in awesome Blender :slight_smile:
It’s a shot for a weekly cg challenge on a theme Game Boss.

Most important thing for me is that I learned so many things. Especially working with dupli groups, and a microdisplacement approach which I used (and obviously little overused :).) My plan was to add more details - to fill hangar with military cars to better show the size of the “scorpion”, but the time was against me :slight_smile:
Hope you will like it, and I’m happy for any feedback.

btw render time was killing 19 hours (1920x1080) - I don’t know yet how to optimize scene :confused:

Attachments

It looks so awesome, very much like a scene in anime. My suggestion for reducing rendering time is try some render farm, they could always offer some good suggestion.:o

It might look cool to take a character from manuel bastioni lab or makehuman and place a silhouetted mechanic or something on the bridge kind of near the tail so that it’s apparent how large this thing is. I think it looks great. in terms of render times, you might want to experiment with rendering the scene 10 times all the same image but with 1/10th the number of samples and with different seeds each time and mix them at the end. in certain situations you can get by rendering less samples per image and it will look better and even if it does take the same amount of time, at least you can render 5 and then have a friend render the other 5 or something like that (hopefully you know people with powerful computers lol) I hope this helps!

Yeah the silhouette would really help there, that’s good idea. Now, the perception of the size is quite unclear.
The approach with rendering multiple images with different seeds sounds good, I will give it a try next time.
I think that the main reason of the render speed was volumetric lighting, and basically it could be faked in photoshop, with using mist maybe…