selecting background geometry

I’ve imported some 3d scan data (dense complex geometry) into blender and need to delete parts of it so it fits another piece of geometry.

What would make this much easier for me, would be a way to select geometry the same way it is selected in the see-through shaded view of the edit mode, but do this while being in the opaque view-style, so that all the background and backfacing geometry doesn’t get in my way.

Is there a way to de-couple the selection style from the way geometry is displayed in the viewport?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can shut off Limit Selection to Visible. It’s kind of a trade off on the draw style.

Another one of the things that bothers me… I can’t stand that it won’t select the back side stuff without the terrible see-through mode. If you find something that works, I hope you share on here. I’m just trying to live with it for now, but it is pretty annoying.

Thanks for the reply, I know about this one, but with a super-dense mesh, that has to be selected around another mesh, it’s close to impossible to do anything when the draw style is see-through, so I was hoping for a way to get the best of both worlds :smiley:

yup, at least I’m not alone on this one, I’ll definitely post it here, if I’m lucky enough to find a way around this

Used with the option I mentioned, in the N-Panel, Mesh Display, you can shut off edge and face display.