Bad Collision

So I’ve been working on this zombie survival game for about 2 years. One thing I’ve never been able to fix about the zombies is this…collision bounds. Everytime I have to shoot at a zombie, I always shoot it in the legs. That’s the only point it’ll take damage. Yes, I’ve proved this by shooting the zombie in different regions while scrutinizing the zombie’s health on the debug properties.

I’ll upload a blend as soon as possible…

can you post a image with the physics debug on?

Sure, I’m in school. I can’t right now…I’ll get it by tomorrow. Both the image and the blend. Even a video if I can…

Make sure that if you are using non convex or triangle collision bounds, the origin of the hit box is at the center of mass (or geometry).

I did that, but the zombies fall half way through the ground.

I’ll make a video once I can…

make sure the orgin is at center of the mesh.

select char->tab->A->shift+s->3d cursor to selected->tab->ctrl+alt+shift+c->orgin to 3d cursor.

I suggest to enable Game/Show Physics Visualization.

This shows you what the physics engine is seeing (Where objects would collide).
You might want to work with collision masks (Physics tab).

I did, in fact…I’ll uploaded a .blend file today.

Okay guys, I had a little free time, but I used it to upload the file.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=46389

You could troubleshoot the problem or inform me on how to troubleshoot it.

Well the reason is because you don’t have a motion box for them and you can’t just give armatures physics. It doesn’t work like that.

Oh, that’s why. I’m just not a fan of motion boxes. I’ll see if that works, but what about shooting them? I don’t just want to shoot at a box and kill a zombie. Which is why I don’t use motion boxes…

Well then you’ll have to form the box into the shape of a zombie.

Or just make it really thin so it doesn’t interfere with the collision bounds. If you look at the walker, that kind of gave me an idea. Just set it up that way…would that work?

If someone wants to help me out, then that would be very much obliged. To be honest…I’m not very good with collision.

Okay, thanks RedFrost. It worked…I just made the collision box into the shape of the zombie.