Resolved but Curious: Old version (2.48) is suddenly crashing when joining meshes

Hello everyone!

I use Blender to make graphgan patterns, which means I have a set number of faces [Edit: up to 14,400]. Each color is its own object, so I frequently separate faces and rejoin them to another object right away. I’m now at the point where I only do this a few faces at a time. There were no problems when I created the file several days ago (and in similar files over the past couple of years), but starting yesterday (4/25/17) it would crash after a few rounds of separate-join. I tried restarting the computer; closing out all other programs; searching online for other people with a similar problem; removing excess vertices (there were almost none); removing all other scenes; deleting extraneous objects; turning off the computer for several hours; and then dusting it out. It now crashes after the first separate-join combo.

I’m sure there must be a simple fix, I believe I had this same problem a long time ago, I simply don’t remember how I fixed/got around it.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

EDIT: So I replied below with my eventual solution, if there are any possible explanations for the whole event, I’d be happy to hear about them.

try reducing the undo limits in the user preferences. seeing how your using a stone age blender version, you must have a stone age computer with crazy small ram.

Thank you, Daedalus, but I must defend my computer’s honor: In terms of tech, yes, my computer is fairly old at 3 years; however, I have a reasonable 8 gb ram. I do have a somewhat newer blender at 2.68, but the selection tool I need is much less convenient (I want to sweep up faces with one pass, not circle them). If the latest version doesn’t have a B-B (or similarly quick) hotkey, I’ll keep my sharp rocks :slight_smile:

Back to the problem at hand, I think the meshes just got corrupted somehow. I imported a new mesh, used the old ones as a template, and so far, rapidly cutting up/rejoining the new one hasn’t given me any problems.

Isn’t that what the C key does in current versions?