Realistic grass

Made with grasslab addon, textures are mine.

Attachments

test.blend (4.83 MB)

Is the grass suppose to look that shiny?

I don’t know suppose it or not. It’s emission shader. Here’s another, diffuse version:

Attachments

test2.blend (4.84 MB)

Looks quit good.
I had also good results with a grass shader as follows;

• Mix diffuse with translucent
  • Add fresnell (Or a bpr fesnell)
  • Look for IOR backflip, (Greg Zaal) to flip the IOR on the backfaces of the grass. (it’s here on blenderartists)

hi, was that from the grass lab addon in addons contrib?

It seems to me that the grass from the grass lab addon is using particles.
Here I used grass free, I believe it is on blendswap. But it’s original shader is quite bad. I had to replace the add-shader node into mix shader node, lower the albedo values, lower the saturation. And applied an IOR flip so that backface shows correct fresnell, and add pbr-specular-reflection (cycnicat). Then saved render as EXR > Natron > filmic > CDL (power and slope) and some grading. Eh … and at te end of the process I used the microsoft Photo app :no: ?. Oops ?

Why Fresnel? I don’t know, maybe it should be connected to the color node of the Glossy shader, but does grass have Fresnel, and if, what value?

Everything has fresnel . . . !

From ‘V-Ray in real life’. Here’s the full version -

:smiley:

Well, that https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?435776-A-NURBS-grass-generated-by-script-and-scattered-around-the-field-using-particles second version looks good even without Fresnel, and I’m afraid that adding it will ruin the picture. But still nobody answered: what refractive index do grass have?