Stylized cartoon dragon

Err0w! Its your friendly dragon neighbor. Today I’ve decided to get brave and venture forward with my Blender skills and attempt to model an anime(?) styled dragon named Wolflong. I haven’t really dabbled much into modeling anime themed characters so this’ll be a first.

Like every other model I do, I find reference imagery and start to make the basic outline shape of the object I’m modeling.

And then I fill in the void with faces and apply a subsurf modifier to make things rounded before applying smooth shading.

(Post above was actually typed lastnight, but I didn’t hit post until today.)

And today I’m trying to model her hair using curves, here’s my current progress so far.

Slight bit more progress today on the hair.

Further update on the hair + added horns, fangs and eyeballs.

Nice start, this is clearly a bit different from the usual Dragon project.

I await to see how it goes.

Thank you AceDragon !

I have a goal in mind for this model. Its meant to be a detailed figurine of her standing on some rocks holding up a over sized rifle modeled after my favorite weapon in Planetside 2 (the NS Archer) looking smugly into a holographic map emitting from her wrist, specifically a recreation (or attempted recreation) of The Crown from Planetside 2.

This model is kind of my way of expressing myself and how I play games, specifcally Planetside 2… I’m typically playing as a lone wolf tank operator who runs with the light armor class for speed and mobility and the advantage of being able to climb steep hills. I typically camp around The Crown area of Indar in the game and have memorized almost (if not every) spot around the area that I can snipe from with either a tank or a rifle. I’ve grown so accustom to using my tank that I named her after a certain dragon I like due to the similarity of colors and having a smaller frame then the other tanks in the game. (And it also has a good luck dragon hood ordinate) I also use my rifle (the NS Archer) to plink enemy armor to death, murder MAX units and scare away hostile aircraft, and whenever I see there’s conflict in that area I cannot help myself but to head over there and camp.

I do also have another update to post about! I’ve finished modeling her head, changed a few hair curves and added fangs, eyes, horns and a tongue, as well as made the nose a bit cuter shaped.

Some further progress:

Took a short break from working on the body mesh to model her primary weapon, the NS Archer. Its more or less finished being modeled and just needs to have an optic be decided (I’m unsure if I want a scope or some iron sights) and materials to be made (currently rendered with a matcap)… This is about a week old model, forgot to post about due to being addicted to Playerunkown Battlegrounds. xD will try to get back to modeling!

I admit I’m a total noob so maybe it’s common, but that is a really interesting way of starting off the head!

I don’t think its common, could be wrong but I haven’t seen anyone else do it. But it was the only way I could model the head eye-holes without a weird looking deformed mesh. Proved to be highly effective, will probably be modeling my next character like that.