OD_CopyPasteExternal add-on

This might be a helpful add on.

1 Like

Why do you think so / what does it do?

OD_CopyPasteExternal

Easily copying and pasting of geometry between 3D Applications

Meant rhetorically but thank you. In a similar vein then: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?409338-Eskil-38-An-interview-with-game-developer-(25-minutes-long)&p=3113848&viewfull=1#post3113848

Excellent news! Thanks you so much…:stuck_out_tongue:

Open source project to copy and paste points, polygons, vertexmaps and texuture tags across multiple apps.
Try it out and contribute!

nice!I hope it integrates with cinema 4d

wow, this could be a gamechanger :slight_smile:

Just came by to share this. Looks super cool.

I remember back in the 90s Apple tried to push a technology that did this. It’s cool to see an open source-cross platform approach.

Does it work between these apps: 3d Coat, Zbrush, Daz Studio?

Thats a nice addon ….…

The following applications are supported:

• Modo : Vertices / Polygons (incl. Subpatch and SubD)/ WeightMaps / UVMaps / MorphMaps
  • Lightwave : Vertices / Polygons (incl. Subpatch and SubD)/ WeightMaps / UVMaps / MorphMaps
  • Blender : Vertices / Polygons (incl. Subpatch and SubD)/ WeightMaps / UVMaps / MorphMaps
  • Maya : Vertices / Polygons / Weights (via Vertex Normals) (Implementation by Andre Hotz)
  • Houdini : Vertices / Polygons / Weightmaps, UVMaps (Paste Implementation by Chris Wells)
  • Others : Looking for contributors to write implementations for other 3d Apps (see TODO)

TODO:

• Houdini: figure out how to get Morphs/Blendshapes integrated
  • Maya: figure out how to get Morphs/Blendshapes integrated
  • Cinema4d: Implementation
  • 3DsMax: Implementation
  • XSI: Implementation
  • Sketchup: Implementation
  • Unreal: R&D to see if its possible to implement
  • Unity: R&D to see if its possible to implement

Moderation: Merged threads… Also renamed the OP to be more clear.

Blender version was updated yesterday, atm is duplicating the vmaps on paste. Contact the dev with your feedback and report issues in the github page.

It is working with multiple objects at a time? It is possible to copy/paste materials (or create a replica of existing ones)?

P.S. As I can see the name of the object transferred between apps it is called ODcopy. It is possible to retain the original name that the object have?

The idea is to not destroy the shading you got in your applications when you re-paste it in.
So lets say you have your shader setup in blender for rendering, but just want to make small edits into the model in software y, you can simply copy the data into software y, make the changes and paste it again in blender, without to have to worry about loosing
your shading work.

This is not a full fledged exporter / importer. But its simplicity is actually ist strength.

As for materials I hope someone will put some time getting material X to work as a seperate addon…would be an interesting project, but I’ve already have a stack of projects I need to finish first…and so little time to tackle them.

Is it me or it doesn’t seem to transfer UV maps from Blender to Maya?