Trinkets

Hi People!

I always loved all kind of classical design - from the great monuments of antic and medieval architecture through baroque furniture to XIX-th century and art nouveau household utensils. I even think that there is a lack of nice ornaments in most of contemporary styles of architecture, interior design, furniture etc.
But, to the point! A few years ago i created some ornaments models using only extruding, scaling, rotating and Catmull-Clark Subdivision. I couldn’t find any purpose for them, so my models remained unused for some time. Recently i watched 2 parts of PBR materials tutorial from Andrew P. Price (Blender Guru). Another video, that i watched, was a presentation of microdisplacement and adaptive subdivision - features, that showed up in the recent releases of blender.
So, i came up with an idea - how to make use of my old models, how to try my hand with PBR’s and play around with the newest features of Blender.
I started baking my ornamental models on a simple UV-unwraped plane, to obtain displacement, dirt and ambient occlusion maps. Then i did a simple model of an egg-cup (at least it looks so :slight_smile: and applied a mix metal-dielectric material on it. Metal for the shiny surfaces, which are continually polished while using the cup, cleaning it, keeping in hand etc. and non-metal for the crevices, where patina appears. I used 3 different metals - copper, brass and silver. Gold doesn’t oxidize, so there is less patina in the crevices and the ornament isn’t as sharp as in other cases.
Please, feel free to comment. Any suggestions, how to change the design, lighting, or add some artistic content to the image will be welcome.

Here is the brass version…

… and the copper one. I thought about adding some DOF in the render. Maybe an egg inside, and a nice spoon beside.

Hello, I think they look very realistic! It is rendered with cycles?

looking nice

what is your light set up ?
is it cycles ?

try to add an old table top may be
with some bread or other little things around

can you make a small short tut how to do these ornements !

nice work

happy cl

Blender 2.78c, Cycles Render, HDRI lighting + weak energy bright yellow sun lamp.

I’m planning a short tut about the workflow used in this scene. If it comes to modelling such organic-shaped ornaments i’d recommend videos from this guy, as he has much more experience.

Organic modelling is quite easy, just extrude, grab, scale and rotate with the modifier set to 3 or 4 subdivisions in the viewport. The same level is enough for rendering or baking. Just make sure that the “Display modifier in edit mode” button is checked. One important advice is to avoid triangles on steep angles. If possible use only rectangles, and triangles only on flat, or nearly flat areas.

Try may be as a test with 3 light set up and one small in the back
and may be use the trick with a blue light and brown light to bring out better color contrast

In general I don’t recommend changing light color cause this changes all the object’s color in scene and not really natural anymore

happy cl

They look nice, although perhaps a little awkward to hold. I wonder how they would look with a little more wear and tear?