Create 'action' or similar to move object a relative distance, how?

Hi!

Doing some motion-graphics, where my camera repeatedly needs to move from x1 to x2 to x3, but each new movement should be offset on the y-axis.

Explanation:

1  2  3
4  5  6
7  8  9
10 11 etc

camera should move from 1-2-3 4-5-6 etc ....  

I’ve made an action strip in the NLA-editor for the x-movement. The strip is set to repeat so now the x-movement is done.

I’d like to create an action-strip that moves my camera like this:

<current position on y > - <fixed amount of pixels>.

In other words - a relative movement on the y-axis.

The only explanation I found doesn’t seem to work. It involved setting a strip to ‘add’ rather than ‘replace’ - and that makes sense: "add whatever values that are in this strip to the current values of the object’ - but it doesn’t work.

1: Can I achieve this with action-strips in the NLA-editor?

2a: If yes: How?

2b: If no: Can I do it in any other way?

Actually the “add” thing did work.

This is an example of relative strips that moves an object along the x-axis by 1380px.

Having gone this route, I realise that the only way I can make transitions involves altering the length of the strips. This makes re-usability drop quite a bit.

UPDATE: I just realised that you do tell an add strip how much you want to add

The only info worth anything in this post is the setup of the relative x-strips. I have yet to come to terms with the NLA. I used to think that the VSE was ‘original’ - but the NLA? jeez … it makes me feel stupid and I’ve spent three days not animating anything trying to figure out why things are suddenly locked, or can’t be changed even though they’re not locked and why they don’t show up at all and how to copy a strip to another object (dunno if you can still. You can achieve the effect by visiting 1 or 2 other editors and do thingymajigs there - but just duplicating it and moving it to a track for another object? forgedabouttit.

I’m getting emotional here. I learned to love the VSE - I’ll get to grips with the NLA too … christ.