How to mask a piece of thread

Update- So this youtube tutorial completely describes how to remove markers and other supporters from videos.

Hello, Guys.

I don’t even know if this is the right section to post this thread or not but anyways.

So I have a video where I have an object hanging in mid-air with a thread. Now, I want the object to appear as if it is floating. I want to know how to remove the thread.

The thread is very thin, just like a fishing line. Is there any easy way of doing it?

Hoping for answers with some easy explanation. Any links to tutorials will also be cool

Thanks in advance

Whether the object in question is a thread or something much bigger, the basic technique is to use what’s called a “garbage mask.” This could be a simple plane, in this render or in another one, which identifies an area of the frame which should be subtituted with corresponding content taken from a so-called “clean plate.”

The “clean plate” is an image taken from an identically-placed camera which is viewing “the background by itself.” That is to say, with neither the object nor its support-mechanism (single-thread or otherwise) included in the picture.

Now, you use compositing to insert the material from the “clean plate” everywhere the “garbage mask” is, and the material from the original image everywhere the “garbage mask” is not. (Be sure not to use “anti-aliasing.”) If you do it correctly, the eye cannot detect which source a particular pixel came from. Neither can the boundaries of the garbage-mask be detected. But, “the means of support” is no longer present: the object appears to be flying.

Some people will paint the supporting mechanism a very precise color, usually blue or green. This allows them to use “chroma-keying,” a.k.a. “blue-screen,” to identify the extent of the mechanism and to mask it for replacement with pixels from the clean plate. Color-identification provides the basis for the necessary “garbage masking.” There are endless variations on the technique – somehow, creative people find a way to improvise their way to a suitable solution to a particular problem. :yes:

Thanks for the in-depth explanation man. Really useful. I now have a general idea of how it will work out.

By any chance, do you have link to some tutorial or stuff?

Well, I just got I was looking for. I am leaving a link to the tutorial.

Blender VFX Tutorial #6: Wire Removal

“Nope, I just use everybody else’s tutorials, just like everybody else does.” :yes:

Just as you have now done, always go back and add to your thread any hyperlinks to (and summaries of, in your own words …) other tutorials that you have found relevant. “Tell us about your 'lesson learned.”

“In a forum, always write for the future, especially when you are ‘winding up’ a thread.” Give the poor soul who “stumbled on” your thread, perhaps many years(! !! !!!) from now, “a complete answer.” Bearing in mind that any materials that you might today “hyper-link to” might, in their present-day, no longer exist.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE™ = “Thanks In Advance.”