What is the best method to get better with this program?

I’ve done tutorials and watched countless videos but I still feel like I have not learned anything. I am not able to model on my own; I feel dependent on reference images and following step by step videos. So my questions is: Does one need to be an artist or have a feel in order to create 3d models? Or does it come naturally over time? How does one get to where many currently are now?

Reference images is what you should be dependent on. Modeling is turning an existing design into a usable 3d model, so if you’re not using references for the design, you’re not modeling. But don’t confuse references with modeling sheets, those are different.

Step by step videos. Learning in steps is ok, but if you’re learning steps, that’s wrong and would always be dependent on having a new set of steps for whatever new you’re doing.

And there is a lot to learn. Each pipeline stage has the fundamentals, the tools, and the advanced topics and techniques. Unless you’re using Blender for a very specific thing, you won’t ever be done with learning. Learn enough so you can make things, and learn more as you’re making more.

That really bugs me - showing someone how to do something, then when they need to do something close-but-not-quite-identical they’re now completely lost. Everything, no matter how related, requires it’s own individual set of steps which eventually gets them into trouble.

Back to the original post… requiring reference images, needing to be artistic etc. depends on what you’re modeling. For more organic shapes being artistically talented is a huge benefit. Me, I’m almost entirely on the technical side so it’s not so much of an issue - a bolt is a bolt is a bolt. If you’re having problems with touchy-feely objects like animals then try architecture. Or robots. Or space ships. Or vehicles. There’s a ton of different things to model so if you’re feeling something isn’t for you try (and I do mean try!) something else.

If modeling it is. What JA12 is saying:reference images. Search or take pictures,(research) make some hand drawings if you like.
Also important (actually the first step): Figure out what you want to make.
Search for what you think you are gonna need for this project.
Try to combine the things you found and learned.
Do not bother when the first couple of models are not at a A-plus rate. Try adding new tips and tricks on every new model/project.
There is no artist that models a perfect character in his/her first try.
If you look at the model you made and compare this to models from others you can see what needs extra work or improvement.

Best way to learn 3D (or other programs you gonna need) is to follow tutorials write down what you think is useful and were you got it from. When you know the basics of the program. Try to combine some of the tutorials you did. Then you stumble on things that you will not expect. this means you have to find a workarround for it, this is were you get deeper in the program. As bonus you get somewhat more original and improved work then just a tutorial scene.

Hope This Helps, Good luck

Experimenting with different features. Maybe watch some tutorials relevant to something you want to do. Sometimes there’s tutorials on something that you’ve already done on stuff that seems almost obvious, but on occasion those still reveal tricks you weren’t aware of. Dinking around in freeform modeling is ok too, but you still need some idea of where you’re going in your head. And of course if you want to get faster, start paying attention to those keys that are underlined in menus. Those indicate relevant hotkeys while that menu is active. And speaking of menus, some routes to get to the same command are faster than others, less keyboard hunting or keyboard twister combos. For instance you can do the same bridge from both the edge menu commands or the specials menu, but the hotkeys used are faster/easier to type in going the specials menu route. (W & E, vs. Ctrl-E and L.) Small things, but you pick up on them as you go along.

Playing around works. Try doing an entire tutorial from memory or at least a part of it.

Thanks for all the fantastic replies everyone! =D

Also try other forums for indepth info

The best approach I’ve found is to learn one thing and practice it for a few hours. Then move on to another. Next day, test yourself to make sure you remember those things before moving on to something else. Testing yourself after sleeping overnight helps cement your knowledge into your long-term memory.

Each day, make a list of things you’ve learned. At the end of the week, look at your list and practice each thing again to make sure they’ve stuck. Anything that hasn’t, go back and rewatch the tutorial and practice again.

In a few months, you’ll be a powerhouse of knowledge.

That’s a good advice. I find myself frequently learning things over again I learned a year ago. Blender is just around 300mb, but it is huge

I’ve been teaching lately in the virtual world OpenSource grids, for half a dozen or so artists who want to learn for that particular platform. Beginners there have the most problems with Where Is The Button. So I’m finding myself spending most of the time teaching the interface. Once they have that clue, they’re off and running. Showing them (by sharing my screen) the actual process, warts and all - especially how to get oneself out of a screwup, answering questions as we go, seems to work better than slick YouTube tuts that just made them feel bad. And what rontarrant said.

Define “countless.” For how long have you been learning blender? I tend to say take 3 months. Stop hanging out with friends, quit drinking, stop watching television and just focus on blender in that time. From there blender will start to feel like a sketchpad for your imagination. And remember modeling is easy.

I say this because if you’re just starting out watching any video will guarantee you learn something new.
Once you have watched a few beginner videos, don’t continue watching other people’s versions. Move on. Dive deeper everytime.

I say countless but I probably should have just said many. It’s not like I am keeping track, just that I feel that I should at this point have somewhat of an understanding by now with how many I have seen. I have been wanting to learn Blender for about the last 6 months but I know I have spent less time on it than that. I will be honest, I am somewhat of an impatient person. Okay, so maybe really impatient at times. =p

While remembering the interface is not a problem, free modeling has been.

All I can do at the moment is keep practicing and hope to actually understand this program some day. (And be patient and take advice from all the great replies here)

Thank you for your advice.

Are you saying you have a creative block? Or are you not grasping the concepts of Blender?

Impatience is a problem. It’s almost as bad as procrastination. :slight_smile:

Just in case my point is misunderstood, anything that follows isn’t intended to be disparaging. It’s just based on observation.

I personally know people who are incredibly impatient. They get frustrated easily, because they won’t spend any time trying to understand what they’re doing. They want to go to the end result as quickly as possible. They jump from one tutorial to the next only picking up small pieces of information. But no real understanding of why certain things work. They never focus in on a particular subject and stick with it, until they’ve grasped it. Always being distracted by something else before that happens.

They generally want step by step instructions on how to create model a or model b. But never think about the fact they’ve simply learned how to construct something specific, according to a rigid plan. If you actually understand how something works, your ability becomes fluid in nature. The subject is irrelevant. As is the subject matter. You can approach it in many different ways. You can still be open to learning from other people. But you understand enough that you aren’t left stranded, when something deviates from the plan.

They progress more slowly than people who started around the same time. Or even some time after. And simply because they couldn’t get that impatience under control. Their expectations exceed their ability. They think things are happening too slowly. They think they’re stupid or incapable when something frustrates them. They’ll often say that taking the time to study and understand what they’re doing is just not fast enough. Ironically that point of view slows them down more than anything else.

The same applies to the interface. Don’t expect to learn how to operate it by watching a tutorial on how to model a specific item. Watch some videos or find some literature that talks about that particular subject as the focus. Rather than it being supplemental.

One other thing. Reference is important. Ditch the idea that it’s cheating, as soon as possible. If you’ve ever taken any kind of art instruction, you will always use reference. Always. If you want to challenge yourself after you’ve learned more and progressed to a certain point, then great. It’s probably a good exercise. But it’s not something trivial to be dispensed with, or ignored outright.

You’re not alone in thinking this. When I got frustrated with Blender, I’m so impatient, I abandoned it for two years and wrote novels. Then I got frustrated with that and came back. (sigh)

Thank you for sharing this! I’m really glad you did.

Andrew to the rescue !

General art skills aside, with blender what I found works well with those learning it is to learn a few core skills first, and then at least once a week sit down and make a work of art with the understanding that you will do no look ups (some leeway for reference photo’s aside, but keep it minimal)

With doing this you will find out for yourself what you do, and more importantly what you do not know, and it provides a chance to direct your learning in something resembling a planned path.

As with most things in life and blender moreso, it is not how many tools you know that makes the deciding factor but how well you know how to use them, regardless of how you specialize your training you will find the tools you need as you go to aid in your workflow.

I didn’t know if I should to be honest. I didn’t want it to sound like a sermon. But it’s the truth. And I’m aware of those things in myself.

Planning is a benefit. Rather than just wandering around aimlessly. Coupled with taking on smaller exercises, it might help to offset impatience or procrastination. I think stopping mid-way through an exercise is akin to a reboot. You probably end up having to restart to refresh your memory. And if that happens regularly, you may end up in a loop. Or developing what someone once called “tutorialitis”. It could’ve been Andrew Price. Where you just watch an endless stream of videos in the vain hope some of it sticks. But never really apply it, because you’ve gotten distracted or frustrated before you bring it to the finish line.