How to model this surface with many holes.

Hi guys, im jeffrey from Philippines and im just new to 3D modeling i really fine this forum very useful as my main source of blender knowledge. sorry for the intro though. :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

my question is how do i model this kind of surface with many holes in it. if there is a existing thread i would love to check it out.

im very open to any suggestion on how to make a surface like in this router.

thanks,
jeff

You could probably use a normal map to get good results in this case. If you need to model it, I would advise to use a plane, subdivide it so it has as many faces as there are dents there and extrude individual faces, scale them down a bit with pivot set to Individual Origins, extrude individual faces again and move them in a bit, then I would set the outer edges of the plane to have crease value of one (shift+e -> 1), add subsurf modifier, then deform the plane into this shape using proportional editing most likely.

If you really want to model it another otion would be to create a small patch of the surface with a hole in it and then use the array modifier to make the hole surface. This way it is a little easier to tweak afterwards. Once that is done apply the arrays and follow MartinZ’ advice.

thanks MartinZ.

thanks OrginalSin i’l also try this method. im just new to 3D and i’m trying every possible method i’l see which works fast for me. :slight_smile:

I’d suggest two other options vs. proportional editing. (Falloff can be rather finicky to work with at times because it only has one radius. No major or minor diameters nor way to orientate it.) One way would be to shrinkwrap the arrayed mesh over a temporary template object used to give it the shape. The other way would be to use a lattice or mesh-deform modifier to help push or mold the arrayed mesh into the desired shape.

Pic showing shrinkwrap method. Mesh for holes modeled flat, so tossed solidify on there too.

thanks pauljs75_ can i see the base mesh of your small holes? thank you very much this will save me a lot of time. :slight_smile:

One more option, and this will save you a lot of modeling/time:

In your image editor of choice, create a texture of the hole pattern. Do the model without the holes, then UV unwrap and use a transparency node.

I was going to attach an example .blend and an image, but for some reason I can’t upload files of any kind. (sigh)

thanks guys… this forum really save me a lot of time :slight_smile:

make an array of a plane with a hole it in, apply the modifier, use retopo to set it onto a subtly curved surface