Manuel Bastioni Lab & CPU renders

Hello esteemed community. I’m a heavy MBL user but currently I’m stuck using a CPU. A transparent alpha background with just my characters, no hair, clothes or anything takes both the computers I have no less than 5hrs to render a single still. I want to work on my animated short but I don’t have the years it would take to render it out. I tried to buys graphics card and some RAM for my computer but my system is to outdated to recognize the gtx 1070ti I’d bought. I can’t afford a new computer so I have to find a way to decrease my render times but keep the quality and realism I’m shooting for. Any suggestions are welcome. Ones that work, even more so. Thanks community. You rock.

this is general performance, not so much MBL specific.

turn off caustics, lower bounces(1 diffuse, 4 glossy, 8 trans), dont use branched path tracing, most of the time, multiple importance on lights generates needless noise sometimes, and set clamp indirect to 1.0.

IMHO, the MBL shaders are too heavy, definitely going to need to make your own shaders.

but if your computer is too old for a 1070, then you may be simply out of luck. but not knowing what blender version, or system specs, its going to be hard to guess.

What version are you using? The shader in lab 1.5 is completely different from 1.4. It requires less textures and should be faster in comparison with the old one.

Also an important factor that affects the rendering time is the SSS slider.

I tend to temporarily replace subsurface with diffuse. Maybe even for good for background characters.
I don’t do “character work” for my usual stuff, they’re just reference dummies in the background anyway.

Thanks for your help. If I lower the bounces and turn off caustics won’t that affect the quality of the realism I’m shooting for? I just want to know. I’m currently using Blender 2.78c on a Dell precision t5400 with a GTX 210 graphics card ( this version of Blender doesn’t recognize it’s GPU).

1.5. It’s me BlenderRatt. I know that the was slider causes some of my issues, however the models and textures are to beautiful not to use to their fullest extent. Thanks

Caustics affect only the eyes, and the effect is noticeable only under some light conditions and with closeup rendering of the face, so probably turning them off will not affect the realism of the results in most of the cases.
Of course, I’m talking only of the base character. If you added, for example, a glasses, turning caustics off will certainly affect the result.

Thank you for the clarification. At least now I know when I can turn them off but still retain the quality I’m going for.

That suggestion about how to scale my character really paid off. Thanks a lot. I love this community.

That suggestion about how to scale my character really paid off. Thanks a lot. I love this community.

This i,age took 13 hrs to render. I like the quality but the render time makes it difficult to render out an animation.