How Modo Indie ripped me off

Heres my bad experience with modo indie.

I recently purchased the modo indie/mari indie bundle, and at first I thought wow this software is great. It has so many features… Then I watched about 30 odd hours of tutorials, got familiar with the hotkeys. Started making my first design…

Then realised instability and performance issues within some sort of interaction between my pc and the software. Emailed in my bug report. Got a response back saying "we only fix problems for full modo users on the maintenance license and that I should try get my problem fixed with steam.

So then I went to steam, can I get a $500 Aus refund on the package. No you’ve had it open for too long (well I’ll admit I looked at about 30 hours of tutorials and played some guitar inbetween. So their response was… It says you’ve been using the software for 40 hours on steam.

So no help there so I guess I’ve kind of gotten to the point where I’m lodging something through commonwealth because they will “probably” key word “probably” issue a chargeback reversal.

Anyways heres my videos displaying what modo looks like on my computer and shows what a piece of junk $500 software can be if you happen to have a driver they haven’t sorted out or… some sort of issue where ever, whatever it may be because you’re not covered for maintanence at $500 and steam does not have your back either.

I hope everybody takes this as a true comparison between blender and modo.

Which video card do you have? Perhaps it’s not supported by Modo Indie.

Sorry to hear about your quandary Lee. Here’s a free copy of Blender to get you started: https://www.blender.org/

Is it usual these days for companies to block users of lower-cost editions of software from submitting bugs?

I would get that they would have limited support and I would get that they want to encourage users to buy the full package, but this is the first time I’ve heard of said support limitation being this severe.

In a way, I don’t get why Modo-Indie users can’t submit bug reports as it could lead to more issues being fixed and give more users the needed incentive to make the jump to Modo standard (they can always give priority to bugs submitted from users on maintenance if needed).

You can only move on and find alternatives.
By now its self explanatory why Foundry had to be sold so many times…

It’s been a long while since I’ve last used Modo (didn’t have a positive experience there either), but I don’t think these are bugs. People complain about viewport and selection performance in Blender just as they do in Modo. You’re probably expecting too much.

In the first video, you say you have 12k polygons, but the number for “GL” shows 700K+, so I assume that means your control mesh has that many polygons, but the subdivided result has 700k. Similarly, when you doing your selection test, that number shows over 4 million. My first idea would be to reduce subdivision levels. Again, that’s just my suspicion.

The other things is that Steam’s refund policy is not courtesy of The Foundry, but Steam. It’s designed for games. If you played a game for 40 hours, chances are you don’t deserve a refund. Good Luck with getting your money out, anyway.

This is actually how Modo usually works. It should be noted that in the second video you loaded up your second model and pointed the camera at the viewport specs and said that it wasn’t showing how many polys there were. Actually, you can see “GL: 4,240,256.” That’s the total number of polys being send to the video card. So 4 million polys is actually a lot for Modo to handle in edit mode. I know its not that much for other software to deal with but this is kind of the issue that has plagued them for years. Just like Blender, you can move those polys around in object mode fine but as soon as you try and move them around in edit mode, it has a lot of issues. So, this isn’t something that a bug report can fix.

On another note, you can very easily get around this. I model in Modo all the time and I always break up my models into logical, individual pieces and parts. This way, Modo doesn’t have to think about all those other polys that it won’t actually be moving while editing. It should also be noted that you were trying to move all those polys in edit mode but if you had been in “element” mode, it probably wouldn’t have chugged that hard. Lastly, when I can, I try to use Instances of meshes that are just duplicated geo.

So, in other words, you’re trying to pack to many polys into a single object. :slight_smile:

EDIT: BeerBaron beat me to it!

So they said you should ask for support on the Steam forums. As far as I can see you haven’t, maybe if you did there may be a simple solution to your problem.

A good customer service should be able to give the same answer to the user, and not just shrug it off. Creates bad PR. but that´s a whole other issue, of course :slight_smile:

Hah, trust me, I´ve worked in customer service for years, and that´s only something they say to offload the user on someone elses service desk :wink:

If you buy Modo Indie, you’re not a customer of The Foundry. The Foundry doesn’t sell Modo Indie directly. You don’t get support. That’s a big reason why the software is cheap. You get what you pay for.

If it was up to The Foundry, I’m fairly sure they’d just offer a refund to get the thing over with (and avoid a chargeback). It isn’t. He has to deal with Steam customer support, which usually have to deal with gamers. Gamers aren’t worth “good” support either. You pretty much get the forums, that’s it.

I think the moral of the story is: Don’t buy “serious” software on Steam.

Yp, neither Modo nor Foundry got anything to do with it… there’s a trial, lots of text, descriptions, comparisons, features and now also a subscription
aii man… and you choose to go steam yourself there & here :wink:

chill & welcome
:smiley:

Okay well the comparison videos may be out of context, and yeah thanks for the added insight Indie_logic. But it does not change that I am getting performance issues with just a few squares or boxes.

I was actually happy with what I saw with modo when I was looking at comparison videos. But I’m not getting the same performance on my pc which is working fine for blender and Zbrush. That and I’m not actually disgruntled by the features, I just don’t like being bounced around from foundry to steam support to steam support forum over software that cost me a whole weeks pay nor can I afford the full version. You have a very skewed perspective of life if you think I don’t deserve a refund after having it for a week and it isn’t working the way it is supposed to or that nobody is claiming the responsibility for fixing it.

posting purely under the category of “Performance”…

could the steam software be sucking up resources? bit of a long shot. im even baffled that people use blender on steam.

I don’t know, maybe actually. It wouldn’t let me use it when my internet was down because it requires steam to be logged in.

dont suppose theres an exe or anything? if not, then try lowering steam process priorities, or increasing modo.

Well I try log in now and steam has flagged my account to freeze me out, so I can’t try anything new. Thanks for all the help everyone. :slight_smile: