UPBGE (FINALLY) in Blender 2.80 - Wishlist ! (The future of blender's Game Engine)

!!! BLENDER 2.78c !!!

WHAT IS MOST CONCERNING IS THE FUTURE OF OUR GAME ENGINE WHERE IS BLENDER HEADING TOO ?
(WHATS THE VISION OF THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM BEHIND THE BLENDER GAME ENGINE AND UPBGE)

A previous Ending to this thread !!!
So people have been blabbering about UPBGE vs the BGE i still can’t tell the difference between the 2 like how is UPBGE unique and does it stand alone without the BGE?

My Game is being made with the Standard BGE a friend of mine gave me a special version of BGE that he took out of the standard BGE and he’s improved it alot i would say that its the most stable version of blender ever released My friend calls it Advanced Blender !!! (Basically UPBGE)

I’d like to also ask newer versions of blender keep comming out now we have Blender 2.78c and the Game Engine is still the same is it good enough ? Compared to UPBGE and does UPBGE compete with the Unity Game Engine?

I would like to hear different opinions from my fellow artists under the Game Engine section of the Community

Can UPBGE merge with BGE in BLENDER 2.80a?
(To make it the best Blender Game Engine ever improved)

UPDATED (October 2019)
#BGE is Saved!

The release of UPBGE 0.3.0 is the spark that will light the fires and will spark a new branch of UPBGE going forward!

Fred/K.S

3 Likes

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here. You mean that someone gave you UPBGE?

I don’t think that UPBGE can’t really be worse than BGE given its current feature set, unless people really need the features that were removed, or there are any serious performance regressions.

UPBGE is the built upon BGE, with changes.

Either way, this is a bit of a click-baity title, perhaps tone it down a little?

BGE throws a right hook landing square in the jaw causing UPBGE to break materials in older versions of blender.
UPBGE quickly recovers, dealing BGE a 1 hit KO with vast amounts of new features. UPBGE is now beating the unconscious BGE with a vicious arsenal of developer response time and bugfixes. The bell rings but the ref can’t make it stop.

BGE wins by disqualification.

UPBGE wipps the BGE with Stability and BGE sometimes crashes when it can’t process certain Game files !!!

UPBGE takes the Round 1 !!!

(Lol i still don’t know what UPBGE has that BGE doesen’t)

Fred/K.S

Rendering Quality:
How well does upbge optimize games through Lod and coding Compared to BGE?

When it comes to BGE i find that it handles textures very well compared to that of UPBGE? I dont know much on UPBGE

Saving game as runtime in BGE and in UPBGE? How you yau’ll render as runtime?

Fred/K.S

audience boos the ref offstage Looks like BGE is coming to and it’s no-holds-barred

BGE takes off the gloves and goes right for the spleen, proudly reminding viewers there’s only ONE BGE downloadable from blender.org.
UPBGE reels back in pain. It tries to retaliate with Python components but misses by an inch.
BGE, now overconfident, attempts to taunt UPBGE with all the resources and games made specifically for it.
But what’s this… THEY’RE COMPATIBLE WITH UPBGE! The crowd is going insane! UPBGE rolls out of the ring and pulls an XBOX CONTROLLER from under the mat! WHAT IS GOING ON???

lol anyway…
There’s a whole list of improvements over here:
https://doc.upbge.org/releases.php
My personal favorites are the input refactors (no more lost keypresses with low framerate) and xbox standard (get consistent results with different controllers).

1 Like

That’s like comparing original BMW with BMW with tuning. The first one is officially approved by BMW(Blender Foundation) and the second is faster and better, but may contain bugs and may be unstable in some cases.
At the end, they are the same thing and eventually BF will adopt UPBGE as official engine.

P.S. Right now I have serious problems with both of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it seems like they over tuned the TUNED BMW (UPBGE) making it Unstable and not fully reliable as the standard BGE !!!

BGE takes the round Again with an instant K.O for this round and they’re both using python and bullet physics.

BGE takes the Second round !!!

With Speed Racer A Whole New World 2 being made on BGE i will try my best to bring out the best of the BGE and later on work with UPBGE !!!

Fred/K.S

Look at what they say about it:

About the project
Why do we have forked the BGE ?
We think that a forked and up to date version of the BGE is necessary to improve the engine and make it more competitive with the other game engines, and at least free engines like ogre and crystalspace. Thanks to a shorter developement cycles we can accept the last patchs in a more dynamic behaviour. We want to give more freedom to active developers to take the essentials modifications that the BGE need.

With all my respect i say sorry if iam being offensive to other artists im sorry im just asking questions and being curious.

Who agrees with me?, why dont they just improve the BGE in the upcomming 2.80 series alone. (No UPBGE after 2.80 standard release)
Who agrees with me?

Fred/K.S

upbge is a beast

I have not met much bug resistance lately at all.

and when I do, the team is really smart once you pin it down.

if you have a vague bug that is from doing all kinds of crazy stuff, it could take a minute.

1 Like

@Fred/K.S - I think the difference between UPBGE and BGE is just the two “UP” letters. Just look at it as an upcoming version of BGE in 2.80.

Ohh its on guys !!!
(Who wins the second final Round)

Lets POST a list of games that are being made and that were made on UPBGE and BGE !!!

Fred/K.S

@Fred/K.S - I think the difference between UPBGE and BGE is just the two “UP” letters. Just look at it as an upcoming version of BGE in 2.80.

Good point i like that and i am going to look at it as an upcoming version. !!!

OMG Wrectified is using UPBGE !!!
Damn its beast… UPBGE takes Round 4
Fred/K.S

This is actually Manic Mack, I am learning melee and getting a quick well made game up on steam in the coming months.
Then the experience from Making Manic mack has already taught me a bunch about what I will be doing with Wrectified.

The same guts will be used to make wrecified, just with a few extensions.

[input pipeline(xbox,keyboard,mouse etc)] -> actor [ ActStrip or MoveKeys ]
Enemy units are controlled using same method as player units but have a few commands the player does not call as often (navigate etc)

I figured out how to abstract my states even further, by calling multiple states per frame.
(rotate, setRotTarget, Move, animate etc)

makes it all very easy to code.
and the code barely branches.

1 Like

Unreal engine wins, it has amazing performance, rendering quality and features. BGE is hardly a game engine, UPBGE costs money unlike unreal engine.

Well, that was a good run I suppose. Really could have used more boxing/wrestling stuff though. Nobody’s gonna buy this on pay-per-view.

lol TROLL ALERT!

Crawls back into hole

So upbge , is more like a super saiyan version of bge.

whereas normal bge is kinda like a guy that has a gym that people are constantly filling with old furniture.

Originally posted by BluePrintRandom: This is actually Manic Mack, I am learning melee and getting a quick well made game up on steam in the coming months.
Then the experience from Making Manic mack has already taught me a bunch about what I will be doing with Wrectified.

The same guts will be used to make wrecified, just with a few extensions.

Look i know UPBGE has GLSL Optimizations which is better than BGE how is Wrectified helping you achieve those brilliant results , and iv i give UPBGE a shot will it be a great move for my project or wa? I know UPBGE used C++ and not Python

Fred/K.S

Originally posted by BluePrintRandom: So upbge , is more like a super saiyan version of bge.

whereas normal bge is kinda like a guy that has a gym that people are constantly filling with old furniture.

Lol but it still produces results !!!
Festival of speed blender racing game is Great !!!
Speed Racer A Whole New World 2 is comming along

Fred/K.S

Actually, the most important feature so far upbge has for me is sdl2 input (multiple xbox controllers)

next up is instances , and static mesh batching.
reinstance unique physics mesh is amazing.

suspendPhysic() is super useful

movement sensor logic brick is amazing for waking actors state control that are moved but not injured

text.dimensions is useful,

Another important thing is, they fix big bugs right when they crop up for me almost.

1 Like