Crazy flipper

THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN ABANDONED

Hello,

This will be my first project that is available to the public.
What is it about? It is about a pinball machine.

I followed some german tutorials to get me started and from there i made it better and added some things, of course there will be more to add, and more to do in a later version, but for now i released an alpha version.

I could use some feedback about how it plays, do you like it, what would you see changed and all those stuff.
Also if you find bugs you can report them here and i will take a look at it/try to fix it for a later version.

Crazy flipper

Crazy flipper(v0.12) can be downloaded from:

At this point there is only a Windows 64 Bit version.
(source included so should run it trough the blend and on all systems)

I hope you like it, and are able to try it out.

Cotaks

1 Like

Iā€™m interested to know how you achieved the peculiar physics effects when the ball is shot off the the flipper or the round things at the top.

That was exactly the thing i was looking for for years until a german person made a tutorial, in short animations do all the work.
long wayā€¦here is the tutorial i followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9L3d2wwMYE (i adjusted a lot after that video, but thatā€™s the basics i used)

Very polished game. Youā€™re on the right way: Keep it simple!

Good Job!

Thanks.

• Uploaded a new version v0.1, fixed the bug where the ball could get stuck in the flipper. there is still a small chance that it boost the ball in speed
  • added in-game score board (nothing fancy yet, just to show the scores)

Very fun game, but it seems a little choppy. Both the highest and lowest settings played the same for me, so Iā€™m thinking it has something to do with the physics. It wasnā€™t bad by any means, but the frame rate seems noticeably low for a pinball game.

That is possible, substeps are on its max, else it wont play fluid at all.
Also (my bad) those ā€˜lightsā€™ are using 2k textures, i will reduce them in size tomorrow.

another thing could be the lights giving the problem, i will also make a light toggle into the launcher for the next version.

What system do you play on?

Uploaded verion 0.12.
made a new video for it as well.

Changes:

• v0.12
    Cleaned up the launcher, it will now give feedback.
    Added dynamic lights and ball trail options
    Created error handling for the scoreboard. no crash/freeze when it cant get the highscores.
    Added ball trail effect
    Changed the save lane indicatora
    Fixed the flipper bugs
    Redone the physics settings, gameplay has changed a tiny bit.
    Reduced some textures in size
    Added some new textures

Highscores are reset with this version.

Let me know how it works out for you, thanks!

Windows 7. My specs are pretty bad by todayā€™s standards, I bought it I think back in 2012: HP Pavillion DV6 AMD 4500M 4G RAM Iā€™m a good base model for low end PCā€™s lol

Thatā€™s indeed a nice test rig for low/mid end, trust me yours ainā€™t so bad, iā€™ve seen way worse these days. Had a few test rigs and laptops on work, they cant even start my game, due to crappy video card xD. (old ā€˜openglā€™ stuff)

Anyway you can run it but a bit choppy, how bad is it? Due to i guess it are the near sensors that i use (a lot). Atm i think there are about 30 of them, when i convert everything it will be only 1.

I canā€™t work full time on my pinball machine, first prio was to fix the bugs, if i canā€™t find more / no one reports more then iā€™m going to convert everything into python. This will be the biggest performance increase i can give, but this will take a while, need to finish an other project first.

Hi Cotaks, watch the server have some problem and itā€™s not possibile to dowload the game.

Fixed it, and should work correctly once again.

Ok, i need some feedback.

Anyone who like to test this please do so, download the game, open the .blend and turn off vsync in the render panel, and tell me if it runs smooth or you still get stuttering gameplay.

For me that works perfectly fine, so the whole problem is a bug in blender itself.
so iā€™m thinking of working on this project again, that is if there are no problems anymore for lower end systems.

so try it and let me know.

Iā€™ve downloaded the zip from the link to your site in the 1st post, but canā€™t extract it.

@sick as @Cotaks stated in the YouTube Videoā€™s comments

itā€™s actually a .rar file (rename it as .rar & get a program that extracts .rar files & extract)

@Cotaks Will give feed-back when I have more time.

[ EDIT ]
@sick Make you extract to a created folder since @Cotaks forgot to put all files/folder inside 1 same folder.

Ty, didnā€™t watch the video.

@Cotaks

I get frame drops, but it may be my hardwareā€™s fault that is too old.
Playing it full screen got the ball thrown out of the pinball machine a few times trying to launch it with Spacebar.
Iā€™ve also tried it in the viewport, it worked better, but usually dropped from 60fps to 40-49 when using the paddles.
Also got the ball stuck once

did you turn of vsync? if you did then save it and close blender, use the launcher to start the game.

No clue why some people have troubles with it, itā€™s a zip and nor a rar as @RPaladin said.
the zip is created with winrar, so renaming is not needed, just download winrar en open it.

first time i hear that, thatā€™s strange

hmm ok can you tell me where?

this alpha version has been played a lot and until now i didnt receive any problems or had one myself,

so please let me know where it got stuck.

ok great

indeed extract it into a folder of choice

I did. Trying the launcher after saving worked. Smooth fullscreen gameplay.

Iā€™ve tried both the default windows extract method and 7zip, which is what I have installed. Changing the extension to rar worked tho.

It probably has to do with low framerate on my machine? I dunno

I posted an image in my previous reply where you can see it.

Anyway, it worked perfectly this time after saving(also had to disable vSync from the launcher settings)
Fun game, reminded me of the countless hours I spent when I was a kid on the windows pinball game. Submitted my puny hi-score although I only really ā€œplayedā€ the 1st ball, the other two went basically right through because Iā€™m bad. :smiley:

@Cotaks

What the |BLANK| :question: You named it crazy_flip.zip & forgot (?) :slight_smile: (only you are at fault here)

You stated this bug in 1 of your .txt files.

(Sorry for harsh criticism. I know you can take it) :slight_smile:

I did not name it, i created a zip file, so itā€™s not a rar file.

True, but i also fixed it, the game is being used over 2 years on my work and noone had it stuck there anymore, but itā€™s good to see that it still happens, i know a fix to fix it for good, so not a big deal. (if i pickup this project again)

ah great, thought so due to it still loads the config from the launcher so you where running it also in a to big screen render for your screen.

good, but still strange.

Thatā€™s a good question, due to the physics are cranked to the max in this blend, and i have never had that happen to me or on my work. i can put in a safeguard just to be sure it never happens again.

Oops sorry looked over it xD

oke great, good to hear.

i know exactly what you mean :smiley:

1 Like