Robot gone rogue

I am currently in the process of a new project and wanted to reach out to see if the community had any thoughts and/or feedback.

The focus will be on the robot but I will have some scenery and props to help tell a story.
Think friendly malfunctioning forgotten robot gone rogue.

My goals with the project are to:
Practice texture painting and try out Bpainter.
Make a really good model that presents good on Sketchfab
Make something for Blendswap (Been a while since I had something to share)
And if I’m lucky try to get a “Favorite Sketchfab art of the week” on Blender Nation

I’m open for all feedback.

//Holmen

Perhaps some emission on the sign “Error”? Have to look carefully to see it in his eyes. Annars bara superbra :D!

@MagicGlow
I agree/agreed to the emission on the eyes.
I just closed Blender for the night and the Emission was the last thing I added before checking this thread.
Great minds think alike I guess :slight_smile:

Another Render after a few tweeks to rig and textures.
Started modeling props but still a bit to go before the story starts to emerge.

The new pose is weird. It’s more dynamic than previous one but it’s really chaotic

Don’t mind that :slight_smile: The pose is just me playing around with the armature. And nothing I will keep.

It’s going forward.

I’ve had some problems making an environment that I’m pleased with but I think I’m closing in to something that might work.
Al the textures are hand-painted and I’m starting to be a bit terrified over the hours I will need to finish them.

Next step UV-unwrapping :slight_smile:

Awesome work so far. Don’t give up please! :smiley:

The rough initial pass of the textures are almost done.
There is still a fair bit left to do on all the environment textures and materials before I am done with them.
I will need to decide the composition of the scene next before I can take the textures further.
I might need some more props to fill the scene, feels a bit empty.

Would love some feedback along the way if something looks of.

//Holmen

I’m getting closer to the end.
I feel that somethings is a bit off so any feedback at this point would be greatly appreciated.
On my todo list is to make some roughness-maps for the textures, need to get some variations to the gloss.
Not sure about the lightning and might need more props and junk in the scene.

I like the design of your rogue bot ! I think there’s just on thing off with the specularity of its material, it feels somehow inconsistent with the “worn out” textures, maybe try a roughness map for the glossy shader …

Also, I found it funnier and more intriguing without the arm coming out the wate disposal …

Thanks for the feedback.
I’m not sure I’m ready to remove the arm but I am giving it thought and are about 50/50 if I should keep it or not.

Since last time I have added some roughness maps to the materials, tried to find some good lightning and kept on playing with the materials.

There are some errors that I know need fixing but would like to hear if you spot any that I might have missed.
I’m not happy with the robot material and think I need to scale down the lightning a bit. its chaotic as it is.

Are you using a PBR shader for the robot? Or a Glossy+Diffuse mix?

I liked the first view of the robot in the room. I think the robot tends to the “cute” side, so then the blood and darker theme seem out of place. I thought it might be funny to see the robot silhouette on the slip sign.

Put some blood splatter on him. I really dig the last render!

@ KareemAlgalaly - im was using a fresnel node but added som extra shine to the robot, that extra shine is gone now.
@ cadaei - the robot on the sign was a great idé, changed that to my last render. Also changed the blood to brown (dirt) and removed the hand. I’m dropping the bloody theme.

What I’m thinking of now is adding some kind of old old stereo in the corner so it seems the robot i listening to music while cleaning.
Also playing with the idea to add a toolbelt with a wrench to the robot.

also did some more changes to lightning and materials.

I aspire to this level!

I thought the arm sticking out of the trash chute was a nice touch.

On the other hand, it brings contrast into the piece and art relies heavily on contrast.

Thanks for all the feedback. It has helped me allot to get second opinions on my work.
So I’m getting close to being done.
Any final feedback on the work?

(please watch the full resolution to avoid ugly scaling)