render-node for animations

Hi,

i am planning to build a render-node (additional to my workstation). I am doing some animation-rendering in Cycles - each project about 12.000 frames.
I have found this GPU-server case (for mining): https://www.miningrigs.net/?product=gray-matter-gpu-server-case-v3-0
Would this be a good option? My concern is that the PCI-e x1 connection via USB would be a bottleneck in this scenario… or not?

So i guess the best option would be to build two nodes instead of one with each 3 GPUs instead of one with six?

I know that there are some good and cheaper (than the project will cost) cloud-render solutions - but since i love hardware and love experimenting with it, i want to build my own little render farm.

Cycles transfers little data during rendering, so PCIe x1 shouldn’t be a bottleneck. I’m not familiar with connecting the risers through USB cables - I’m assuming this doesn’t affect transfer rates?

In the future, if Cycles supports transferring data during rendering (to side-step the GPU memory limit), PCIe bandwidth will be more relevant again.

Thanks for your reply.

@cisto did you build a rig with reiser cards? Did it work?