Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    See post #3: Yes, those posts should be moderated.
    It's still unclear how those spambots manage to get past moderation.
    Asus Sabertooth 990 FX | AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz | 32 GB RAM | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

Quite sure as suggested that there has to be a loop hole in the messaging system.
    3D Design Generalist - Faculty Industrial + Interior Design
    Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

For the short term, the answer might be more moderators (particularly those who can be active during the evening hours here in the Central Time Zone because there's none around usually).

Other solutions might be a way to the software auto-delete posts that contain common hallmarks of spam (such as Asian or otherwise unusual characters in thread titles).

Either way, a solution should be found quickly so we don't see a reduction in activity due to tired users.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Seems like BA is starting to fall apart from lack of care to me.

Bugs cropping up (like the one with quick reply and quotes) and now the spam impacting upwards of several forums at once. We don't here much these days from the Blendercookie staff other than Fweeb and there's no sign of the move towards the more modern and (quite possibly more secure) Discourse software.

Something has to be done or the site risks falling to the fate it nearly succumbed to when Goofster gave Blendercookie the keys.
    That's unfair and inaccurate. Your use of hyperbole is tolerated in other parts of the forum. Let's lay off on it here, please. We're actively working on narrowing down how the bots are getting through. Unfortunately, our forum is large and there are a lot of moving parts. In an effort to help narrow things down, some convenience features of the forum might be temporarily disabled until we figure it all out.

Originally Posted by peter18 View Post
    Maybe time to implement some kind of minimum comments system? Have to post 5 comments or something before you can post a thread?
    Just to answer this separately. We *have* that (it's 10 posts before you are not auto-moderated), as well as some other spam prevention tools. Those are the controls that the bots are currently circumventing.

Actually I've seen this just a couple of months ago on a game related site. It's obviously a lot harder to deal with than people think. It came on in a wave. And the same kind of MO. A large block of posts on random threads to get the count up, and then it goes nuclear.

After a couple of weeks it was eventually brought under control. But the weasels do still manage to get under the fence occasionally.

They are spamming game engine support forum again.Whoever they are.

Originally Posted by Lostscience View Post
    They are spamming game engine support forum again.Whoever they are.
    Thanks for the heads up... though the Report Post feature is probably more effective.

Originally Posted by Fweeb View Post
    Thanks for the heads up... though the Report Post feature is probably more effective.
    I see no such feature.Where is it located?

I see no such feature.Where is it located?
    In the bottom left corner of any post:

Asus Sabertooth 990 FX | AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz | 32 GB RAM | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

Just a little notice on what we've done so far. We've done some patching to vBulletin, adjusted moderation rules for some of the more targeted forums, and implemented RECAPTCHA for new logins. This seems to have slowed the bots down quite a bit. Downside: they're no longer just in the General Forums... they're posting in other sub-forums as well. Thanks, everyone, for continuing to report these spam posts to the moderation team when you see them. It really is a big help.

I'm cautiously optimistic... enough to say that the worst of it might be behind us. Of course, if I were a superstitious man, I'd say that I've just jinxed us all. Time will tell.

I really hope it is fixed.

I reported one.

Tons of 'em today

They're still getting through, but only one thread was created and the title is in nonsensical English (with the Korean only found inside).

Could it be possible that we are not dealing with bots here, but real people who have made it a career to spam forums?
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

quite possible. they do it on email and phone more or less. its not a virus or something potentially hazardous to us, is it?
    System "IVAN" (rev 1.3b) - Win7 64bit - Blender 2.74:
    CPU- Intel i3-3220 3.30 Ghz | GPU- EVGA GTX 970 | RAM- GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz | MB- ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Originally Posted by Fweeb View Post
    In an effort to help narrow things down, some convenience features of the forum might be temporarily disabled until we figure it all out.
    I'm guessing that includes logged out search. Could that feature be returned, sooner? Less one post wonders will result if you're looking for upshots.

Thanks for the upkeep btw.
    Last edited by LoboTommy; 24-May-17 at 00:04.

I am glad it is finally over.

I am glad it is finally over.
    We still see a few here and there (I think that most of them are accounts that were made during the surge and lying in wait), but it seems to have largely been reduced. It's nice to be able to breathe again.

That is so true.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast