Is this possible with blender?

Hello,

I want to start focussing on dynamics and destruction but I wanted to know if these are possible with blender?

The 2 video’s were done in 3dsmax with thinking particles

Anyone?

Most definitely, here are some examples of destruction in blender.

The second one also has a link to a tutorial on how to accomplish it.
I would recommend looking into rigid body physics, particle systems, and fire/smoke simulations to get started on this path.

The thing is I have blender on my computer and I have houdini…So I don’t know which is better to focus on…Houdini or Blender…i don’t know how capable Blender is to do very nice destruction like you can do in houdini or thinking particles

As far as rigidbody simulation and destruction / fracturing is concerned… i would recommend to give the Fracture Modifier Build of Blender a try.

Blender Fracture Modifier

The Fracture Modifier is a system to interactively destroy and physically simulate the shards of objects in an easy, performant and non-destructive way. This allows you to shatter and simulate the objects as you like while the original geometry of the object remains untouched and intact.
Support and builds

Graphicall Windows Build
BlenderArtists.org support forum thread
DF-VFX Hosted Fracture Modifier Builds
Main Documentation

BlenderWiki page about Fracture Modifier
Useful Videos

Development and experimental videos from the fracture modifier build & helpers addon by Dennis Fassbaender
Simulation Videos made by Kai Kostack

I would recommend at least looking into Houdini because its actually used in the Industry. I just recently started to learn it and I love the procedural node based approach.
If you want to look into Houdini I would recommend watching this Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x-EQ4JtBJM
It’s done by a Rigid Body Artist at ILM and it’s a great introduction.