Why is character rotating

BG_Borg_advert2.blend (2.98 MB)BG_Borg_advert2.blend (2.98 MB)

Can anyone tell me why my character is rotating from frame 126, plse. I don’t believe i have included a later keyframe to cause this!???

Thanks

At f170 the root bone (Bone.001) rotates suddenly - the keyframes are set to constant, this is why it does so instantly and not gradually from frame 126. Meanwhile, the feet also have a keyframe at f170 but the previous one (at f126) is set to linear, which makes them move not instantly, but gradually on the course of those 54 frames. If you ask me, the root bone should not move at all. Depending on what you want to achieve, you might be better off simply deleting all the keyframes at f170.

Hadrien

Thanks very much Hadrien…i’ll have a look at that!

Hi Hadrien,

The character is supposed to walk into shot in the mid-distant ground, realise he is being watched and suddenly stop. After looking towards the camera he then turns at a right angle to face the camera, pause, before walking up to it. I’ve managed to stop him rotating back to Y axis direction (as per initial problem) based on what you said re. root bone but not sure i’ve done it efficiently. Can I ask what would be the ‘correct’ way to position the root bone throughout the 90º turn? As a newbie animator I am considering rotating the root bone at f126 through 90º to face X axis. This will then mean rotating the character back through -90º so it realigns with the root bone, so both are then oriented in the X axis. I am, however, imagining trying to rotate puppet back to exactly same position will likely produce a jerky animation??

Hope this makes sense!?

Many thanks
Si

Hi,

I am away from my workstation now but if I understand correctly this is a “classic” walk-pause-walk problem (at least for me it is classic…) - I usually do it with a walkcycle on one or both ends; the only difficult parts are the stop and the resume. You’ll probably need to fasten one foot to the ground with a copyloc constraint (to any fixed object) while the root bone stops, same when it resume moving.

Hadrien