Blender won't launch (black command box then desktop)

Hi there,

I appreciate any help in advance but I’m at wit’s end and I need Blender to be working for work issues. Currently I’m running Windows 10 x64 up to date. I had an update in Windows forced on me last night and came in to find that I cannot launch Blender. I start it up and get a black command box like I normally get then the black box goes full screen and then closes back to desktop.

I’ve been googling and reinstalling/uninstalling Blender both as Admin, not as admin, with the installer and with the zip file. I’ve updated Python, my graphics card drivers and I’ve tried reinstalling the VCDist. Restarts galore, nuked the entire Blender Foundation folder AND the Roaming Appdata folders.

I’m pulling my hair in frustration and I’m a breath’s width from doing a full Windows reformat but I’d rather not.

Anyone have any suggestions? Please help?

i had same problem, i tried all solutions listed on google but never got any solution, as a result i install linux mint and blender works great now. i dont recommend that but it happened with me too , i had some virus in my pc maybe because of that it happened ,so left windows and now iam linux user.

maybe its graphic card related problem, my window was little bit corrupted and had some issues with graphic card drivers. check yours whether they working fine or not. if not then you need to clean your window

you can use linux as secondary os. just keep linux for blender and your windows for other stuff.

beaware some shortcuts like alt+rmb dont work as linux uses them for its own shortcuts. you can change them so it doesnt matter but if you are new to linux then it might give you an headache.

Changing OS would be one ridiculous way to solve a problem. What hardware are you using?

Might be an issue with updated graphics drivers. Have you tried to roll them back?

Yes I have. Roll back did nothing and I do not wish to go to Linux.

Full run down on tried things thus far (kind of shaking with exhaustion, calling it a night after this).
Uninstall and reinstall of Blender as admin
Repair as admin
Refreshed graphics drivers
Rolled back graphics drivers
Ran in safe mode
Installed via unzip
Installed via msi
Tried running as an instance
Tried downloading and running it via Steam
Downloaded Python
Downloaded VCDist

I’ve done everything repeatedly at this point. Nothing has worked. I’m going to reinstall Windows from scratch if I can’t fix this by tomorrow night.

You still did not tell us your system specs, especially the graphics card used…

Windows 10 has a record of installing defective graphics drivers via its auto-update function. So, did you try getting the latest graphics driver directly from the manufacturer’s or the AMD/nVidia website and installing that?

Windows 10 updates graphics drivers even with Windows updates disabled. You need to really work hard to stop Windows 10 from updating stuff automatically I would suggest confirming and double checking that what you tried was definitely previous driver version for your graphics cards. There might be an issue there. It is unlikely, but still possible, that the latest drivers might be the cause for trouble in this case you would be playing whack a mole with windows re-updating your drivers automatically whenever you try to use previous version - happened to me once. Very nice game :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Oh, the joys I had… Anyway it might be useful to provide all available information about your hardware here.

Sorry:
EVGA X79FTW mobo
16GB of RAM
i7 Processor of some sort
EVGA NVidia 970 GPU

And sorry for the delay. Full reformat and now Blender works. Friggin Windows 10. I am not amused.

Welp, looks like it was indeed Windows being a jerk. Thank you all for all the help though it took a format to fix. :slight_smile: