System requirements

Hey guys,

I’m getting a new PC. Wanna use it for Bledner, especially the animation. Was wondering if the recommended HW here https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/ will be enough?
Or should I go with the Optimal HW?

I kinda wanna get 2in1 PC but do not wanna sarfice the performance.

Thaks for a reply!

Simon

i am using 8gb, i3, 1.2gb graphic pc which is verrrrryyyyyyy slow, rendering animation takes hours. if you want to work with smooth ui then go for 16gb, 3-4gb graphic card, processor i7

How much are you planning to spend? Is it proffessional work or learning you are planning to do?

It’s not prefessional, not at all. More of a learning. I’ve just been playing with the software for a few months. But the point is to make a 5 minute movie.
You know what, I think I will go with the more powerful machine. It won’t be portable but I guess I will save much more time just by having a better PC.
You think that’s a good decision?

Have a look here. Mentioning your budget is important. I believe, you will want something a lot cheaper. Depending on what you are planning to do you can choose more appropriate hardware for that. If you are learning it’s a good idea to try to use whatever you have at the moment for work, since it doesn’t really need a lot and try to get access to some more computers for rendering, like for example university computer lab or something, or your gamer friend’s computer with brand new nvidia GTX 1080.

What kind of rendering are you planning on, CPU or GPU? You can make some quite portable PC’s that still have excellent performance, the biggest limitation being a single gpu only.

Make an ITX system, some cases have handles as well if that’s your thing :slight_smile:

thank you guys for all the help! You’re awesome!
And yea, I was actually gonna ask about the GPU. I suppose I will be using cycles which, as I understand, is built to work with the GPU.
But does cycles work well with a big CPU as well? Cuz I can a lot of CPU in a PC and do not have to be limited by the GPU.
P.S. great point about the ITX system!!!

GPUs are quite a lot faster than CPUs for Cycles rendering, so to render as fast you need quite a few CPUs and the more cores the better. However when you get a good rendering solution you end up with a poor workstation. For work it will be better to have a single quad core processor with higher clock speed. Unless you have a specific reason for rendering with CPU I would recommend trying out GPU rendering first. It is likely to be cheaper and more universal at the end of the day. If you are unsure what you need, I would recommend not making a big investment blindly and first find out what you are going to do mostly. I think getting i7 7700K, 16GB or even 8 GB RAM and a single good GPU like GTX 1080 or any of the GTX 10… with a motherboard that has additional PCIe slots and space for 2 or 3 more GPUs would be ideal. Then, you can work without hardware limiting you and if you need more rendering power you can add it latter. That is ideal situation in my opinion. I work with 16 GB of RAM, i7 2600K processor and GTX 970. I’ve got another GTX 970 at work and I use them both for rendering if needed. It’s never ideal, but it works for me as far. Single processor with less cores is useful for other stuff as well - for example most of physics simulations can use only one core for most calculations that need the results of previous calculations to continue so when you need to do some cloth simulation for example 16 cores or 32 cores - it doesn’t matter, my old i7 2600K overclocked to 4.2 GHz does not look so bad in that case at all.

Thanks, Martin. Helps a lot, got loads of info from this!!! This is what I will go with to my IT guy.