Big ol' Question Thread

(I didn’t want to spam different posts everywhere, but at the same time I don’t know where to put this, so I apologize if this is the wrong spot for it)

I’m very close to finishing my first humanoid model; Buwaro Elexion. I followed a very helpful tutorial series, but there are some adjustments I need to make that the series didn’t go over;

• I have modifiers and shape keys on the main mesh and I can’t apply any of the modifiers. It gives me the error “Modifier cannot be applied to a mesh with shape keys”. How do I fix this?
  • I used

for rigging the eyes, and while I followed the steps perfectly, rotating the eyes causes them to rotate at the point between them, rather than at their individual origins. Example

• Buwaro’s t-shirt is torn up along the ends, as seen here. What’s the best way to replicate this look?
  • I tried to use a boolean modifier on his ear to give it that damaged look (refer to the image above) but it simply won’t allow me. It doesn’t give me an error or anything, I just can’t cut through it with separate objects.

You don’t have to respond to all of these, but help with any one of them would be fantastic.

.blend model; https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6aujj5dovgl17n/Buwaro%20Elexion.blend?dl=0

• I have modifiers and shape keys on the main mesh and I can’t apply any of the modifiers. It gives me the error “Modifier cannot be applied to a mesh with shape keys”. How do I fix this?

Remove the shape keys or don’t apply the modifier.

• I tried to use a boolean modifier on his ear to give it that damaged look (refer to the image above) but it simply won’t allow me. It doesn’t give me an error or anything, I just can’t cut through it with separate objects.

Nothing for us the look at. Blend file required for all support questions.

Apologies. I’ve put the link to the .blend file in the post.

Bump

(Bumps are allowed, right? I at least waited until this post left the first page)

Another bump

1. Try this addon:
    ‘Apply Modifiers while preserving Shapekeys’- Addon (+ Shapekeysplitter)

2. It’s a poly modeling question. You basically have to model it that way. There is many approaches as how to do it. You should probably ask just that question in the modeling section of the support forum to get specific help on that. It’s pretty much a basic modeling thing. From what I see, if you have done the rest of the model, you should be able to do that as well :slight_smile:
    Just have a crack at it, and don’t shy away from doing something twice, even the best modelers every now and then have to scrap an effort and start over using a different approach.

3. The boolean modifier does have issues with some type of meshes. One thing to keep in mind is there’s 2 different algorithms used by the boolean modifier Carve and BMesh. From my experience BMesh has a lot more range dealing with weird meshes. Try swithcing that and see what you get.
    One of the things that impacts boolean modifier is self intersecting meshes.