Pocket Watch - Please Help Me Improve

Hey guys! This is the first time I try to make something photo realistic, still trying to grasp how to do it. I am unsure about the quality of the lighting and the glass shader in particular, but please tell me any detail I can improve. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi, it’s a good start, but I have some thoughts. Would be good to have a reference image on this as well if you have one.
About the glass shader. Feels that it reflects the numbers a little too much. Also the reflections seem to be on top of the glass instead of under it. This is why I would like a reference image, because it feels a little bit strange. Perhaps it’s the angle of the camera. Normally it’s more direct in front of a watch.
Then we have the golden chain. Unused and without any scratches at all, but the watch is really worn. Does not match.
The lid of the watch. Not round. Could be that it’s like this on purpose, but a little bit too flat on the right side in my meaning.
You have some white stuff on the right of the glass. Mistake or on purpose? can’t tell what it is. Does not seem to be a part of the glass.
No scratches on the glass at all. If the metal is that worn, there should be some scratches on the glass as well.
The round reflection on the glass is a little disturbing. Together with the reflection of the numbers on the glass and the reflection of the chain on the table, it will create to much noise for a viewer in my opinion.
About worn things. The place where the chain is connected to the watch is the place where most wear will happen. Paler metal and more scratches on that area would be good. However, as I said in the beginning… it is a really good start :). Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah I’m really struggling with making this glass looking good. I forced that reflection on it because without it I thought it didn’t look like glass at all. And I have no idea how to solve the issue with the numbers reflection. The worn in the metal and the glass is definitely something I can work on as well. Thank you very much for the reply, I’ll try to fix as many of this things as I can, and will post my improvements.

Hello. I would say this is a great start.
You a have a visually interesting topic, you kept the color pallete simple, that’s very good. And the chain looks great.
But let me offer a slightly different point of view, then the one of photorealism.

To me, the image looks very flat. We are 3D artists, I would like to see the 3rd dimension. It does not have to be anything in your face, but I think something little would really help with the composition. Maybe have the protective lid portrude towards the viewer, or have the chain be lifted into the air like someone was picking it up right now? Or maybe just make the watch itself a little thicker? Or change the camera angle into something direct to make it look flat on purpouse.

I applaud the decision to not use too many colors with crazy saturation, but I think this is a little too blend. Add some complementary color. Anything subtle would be enough. Even if just the reflection in the glass was more interesting and somewhat blueish for example, I think it would really lift the image.

The details:
The reflected numbers are very annoying. And thats not how it would work. Is the glass only a plane? You have to fix that.
Also - I am no expert but the clockface seems a little weird to me… Were not roman numerals traditionally used? Also I am quite confident that clockfaces used to be more detailed with lines around the edge and such. Surely a brand name would also be there. Might help set the mood to look more olden.
Otherwise - great work. The wood looks good and even the papers are very detailed.